NTFS and GAMES

A

AMDdoolbooter

Hey all,

Ive been wanting to make the switch to NTFS for a while now, but I have 2 people that tell me that games will not run on NTFS. The system I will be converting to NTFS is not my main gaming system, but I would like to have a few games on it, it is equipped with a GeForce3, and it would be a waste not to run anything on it. One person suggested that I convert C to NTFS and leave D as FAT32 and put my games on it. Id like to do the whole system (both systems if I like NTFS!) in NTFS format. Thanks!

Damn that was fast. Thanks for the info. I will be CONVERTING in WinXP, not a fresh format, I dont have time for that. Im guessing everything should still be OK for games though.

Hey AMDboolter,

Games work excellent on NTFS so convert both to NTFS

yeah for once I think catch23 got it right with a short response...

they did indeed lie to you.. or at least get their "I know everything act" in a bit of a knot :)

NTFS works just fine... for all the games I have played and I have played them all... (well all that I wanted to play)

:)

To get the most out of NTFS I would recommend doing a fresh install so you can take advantage of the new cluster sizes.

there may be one or two games you may have problems with - one is need for speed hot pursuit

The only games that I can assume would not work for NTFS is older DOS games. In some cases though the problem is not the filesystem as much as it is the OS. Windows NT 4.0 was notorious for not running DOS applications properly. 2000 was better and XP ultimately doesn't have any of the previous troubles.

To say the least, XP won't run your DOS programs properly for the most part, but newer games should not have a problem.

Andre

sorry to burst your bubble

Games will only work with NTFS with no problems if you are an administrator.

A limited user account will have problems with some (No...not all) games when NTFS is used.

need for speed hot pursuit?

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
To get the most out of NTFS I would recommend doing a fresh install so you can take advantage of the new cluster sizes.

there may be one or two games you may have problems with - one is need for speed hot pursuit

Really I run need for speed hot pursuit without any problems on NTFS what problems did you encounter?

cant get it to run
installs ok
tried everthing
that being a reg hack for DX8.1 & a no CD patch
your the first person I've come across that can run it on NTFS

Originally posted by Annihilatus
The only games that I can assume would not work for NTFS is older DOS games. In some cases though the problem is not the filesystem as much as it is the OS. Windows NT 4.0 was notorious for not running DOS applications properly. 2000 was better and XP ultimately doesn't have any of the previous troubles.

To say the least, XP won't run your DOS programs properly for the most part, but newer games should not have a problem.

Andre

actually the comment about NT4 and dos apps not working well IS NOT TRUE!.. sorry m8. Ive been using NT4 @ work for years with dos apps.. no worries. But NT4 IS NOT recommended for a gaming environment.. in that situation it does indeed sux!

strange

Originally posted by TwoZigzagColt45
cant get it to run
installs ok
tried everthing
that being a reg hack for DX8.1 & a no CD patch
your the first person I've come across that can run it on NTFS

I run it fine the only hangup I have is when I pop in the cd the autorun screen shows up and it gives no option to play just install but it is on my D drive (NTFS) both my drives are NTFS I dont apply any patches at all I am using direct x 9 beta and sp1 v 1073 I made a shortcut on my desktop and just exit the first pop up screen and run it from the desktop ........ need for speed 3 hot pursuit

Well I cant get racing games to work on my system with FAT32. I installed NFS porsche unleashed and it installs and loads, but stalls at the load screen forcing me to hard boot. Im not one for older games anyways. Gimme new, cutting edge shooters, and my old standby Unreal Tournament and im fine. I actually got Xwing V Tiefighter to install and run, but it was so primitive I gave up on trying to config it to play keyboard style. I appreciate the help from everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back