NT4 Server Default Home User Directory -- Help??

M

MiamiHIC

Greetings,

--I'm having, a great deal of, difficulty with Windows NT 4.0's Default User Home Directory feature. Microsoft says that one can create these directories when a new user account is created in a Domain. I followed the procedure for creating users with no success.

--What I've done:

--First I created a folder named Users in the root drive as in C:\Users. I shared this folder, and gave administrators group full control share permission and Users group change share permissions. I gave similar security permissions to the Share. Beneath this folder I created user folders with folder names matching the usernames of the domain users, and left them unshared. I gave administrators Full Control, the users (RWX)(RWXD). Supposedly, after all of this has been done and a user logsin from a NT workstation, a new mapped share should appear in their My Computer pointing to "\\%LOGONSERVER%\Users\%USERNAME%". It did not. The share only got as far as "\\%LOGONSERVER%\User". That's the first problem I encountered. The second problem occurred when users used applications such as Microsoft Office, or what have you, and tried to save to their home folders on the server. This also did not happen. The applications defaulted to their local C:\Winnt\Profiles\%username%\Personal or My Documents folder to save their work. Ideally, the application should have saved at their server assigned work folders. I tried server scripts (Kixtart, Batch, etc...) to create the shares and that didn't work.

--After all of that failed, I installed Microsoft Distributed File System(DFS) to accomplish the task. This solved the first problem of creating the right shares (\\%LOGONSERVER%\Users\%USERNAME%) on the workstations. It did not resolve the second problem of forcing the applications to save the users' work to their home folders at the server.

--I know that I can do this manually, either, through the options menu on the applications (if available) or through the registry. However, when you consider the amount of users and workstations that one has to do, it becomes a time-consuming job. The reason I'm doing this is because the users are elementary school users (1-6). The older kids can look for their folders but the younger ones will have great problems and most teachers don't know their way around computers.

--My question is, does anyone have any idea of how this can be accomplished, a magical script, one shot solution? I'll even take a solution as to batch edit the registry entries of all workstations for all users in one single shot.

--Any thoughts would be appretiated?

Thanks,
MH

PS. I'm also looking for any software, script that will allow me to logon/logoff a whole set of account users from the server to speed up the process. Security is not an issue in the lab. I just want to have computers up, running, and logged in ready for the classes.

WinNT is a biitch just upgrade to win2k thats what i did when i ran into problems works better. I laugh at my dad that uses winnt 3.1 (gives nightmares) .

Although upgrading to 2000 is a good alternative, it is not always possible. There is nothing wrong with NT when you know how to use it.

First of all, when setting up shares on NTFS partitions, you should never change the default permissions. Security will be controlled by NTFS. Leave the Users share at Everyone full control on the users share. Leave the default permissions on the Users folder. With the correct path in the user account profile, this will now work.

Don't know of any software that will force logoff of multiple users but how about doing a remote restart. Use shutdown.exe with the -r switch to force reboot of remote PCs.

Sux, Rob:

--Thanks for your replies.

--Sux, upgrading to Win2K is out of my hands. I don't make such decisions. With the way Microsoft costs have been going up, I doubt any further purchases will be made on their products.

--Rob, I originally had done it that way giving Everyone full control. I did it, again, just to make sure and it doesn't work. Saving still defaults to "C:\Winnt\Profiles\%username%\Personal". I, however, want saving to default to "\\%LOGONSERVER%\Users\%USERNAME%."

--As to the logon/logoff issue, I don't want to be able to reboot the system. I want to be able to send to any PC over the network the commands "Ctrl+Alt+Del" + "username & password" thereby automating the logon/logoff process from one central location. The reason I want this is because every hour there is a new class that comes in or leaves. I want to be able to Log the entire departing class in one stroke, off, and log the incoming class on in one stroke as well. All they'd have to do is just sit down and start the Application that they need. I just want to speed things up a bit and reduce the diffulty that the younger elementary students face and the strain on my joints from all the logon/logoff that I have to usually do.

--There is a program called:

VNC located @ http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

RealVNC located @ http://www.realvnc.com/

TightVNC located @ http://www.tightvnc.com/

The above programs send the "Ctrl+Alt+Del" to a remote computer but it does it one computer at the time. I'd have to connect to each one at the time send the "Ctrl+Alt+Del" then I'd have to enter the Username + password then disconnect then reconnect to the new system. That takes longer than walking to each computer and doing the logon/logoff process manually.

Thank you, both, for your help,
MH

Are you configuring that profile path on the user accounts on the NT Server or on the local PCs?

I don't know of any program that will log off users in one action, sorry.

Rob,

--I am configuring that profile path on the user accounts on the NT Server which is where the Users folder is located along with its user subdirectories. If I have to configure the accounts on user workstations, then, I might as well switch to workgroups rather than domains. It appears that NT4, really, doesn't support this feature eventhough Microsoft documentation and the rest of the books written about NT said that it did.

--I've not been able to find that one-shot login/logout solution, either.

Thanks for your help,
MH

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back