Not Neccessarily a build

It's a server. Not a desktop PC.

I'll assume he's interested in it because of the price. I recommend a Dimension desktop. At least a 3100 if he wants standalone graphics.

You can put XP on that server, but no standalone graphics.

I know a bunch of people who have bought that (because of the price) and run XP on it. And, you CAN add video to it, as it has 5 total slots. Here is the info from the specs web page...

bullet.gif
5 total I/O slots
bullet.gif
3 PCI Express slots (one with x8 connector, one with x4 connector, one with x1 connector), all 2.5GHz.
bullet.gif
2 32-bit/33MHz PCI slots 5V.
bullet.gif
Slots can support full length or half length cards.

For that price and after market graphics you are better off buying a Dimension. It's not designed to be a desktop computer.

True, I didn't take into consideration the price difference between the SC and the Dimension, compared after having to buy a video card.

Madmatt is right as usual - go with Dimension :smoker:

But the difference is that the computer is on sale right now and has a dual core processor for under 400 dollars...

That processor retails for $217.

So that means you pay about $183 for an OEM mobo, 256x2 RAM, 80GB Sata HD with crappy video, and I believe no audio either.

As Matt said, Dimension!

I looked at the Dimension models... E310 doesn't have deticated graphics. The E510 is more than double the price of the server. Both have a free upgrade to a 17" flat panel.

You're better off waiting... Thursday is a new week for Dell and they will have new offers.

I just think buying a server to run as a desktop is a bad choice. And on top of that, the base model isn't upgrade friendly.

Note: Dell does not certify and is unable to provide support on this server when installed with an operating system not listed below.

If you put Win XP on it Dell will not provide support.

You know nothing about the power supply. And no info on the case cooling.

Based on info from KCNY it requires a PCI-e video card (and is only 8X, most are 16x). I'm suspicious on why they do not offer a video upgrade option. Dell makes profit on upgrades so they should have something listed for a video upgrade. Maybe PSU is not hefty enough?

Update
I hate being right all the time. Found the power supply spec's. The power supply is only 305W. I doubt it will support any decent graphics card on top of the dual processor.

Last edited:
Dont care about support,
Im really not looking for suggestions... on a new pc, because i have looked, the processor alon has made me consider saying it plus the hdd, my friend wouldnt upgrade so...
all i wanted to know is that xp could be put on it and that you could put a vid card in it... Thanks for your help

XP = yes (no support)
Video = no (no PCIe x16 or AGP slot)

Read my update. 305W power supply. Forget putting a decent video card in it.

To answer your simple questions (XP and video card) yes.

However also look at support options and warranty. Even if you "don't care", the person you are buying for may. Since budget is a factor, obviously it is if you are buying this low end PC, there is peace of mind for a few extra hundred to get a 17" as well as support/warranty. This way if that crappy PSU goes bezerk, like the other one you just fried :rolleyes:, it may be covered under warranty.

It doesn't matter anyway, you can't put a video card in it anyway.

No PCIe x16 and no AGP slot.

Didnt kcnychief say it had a pcx16 slot?

LeeJend, that sealed for me, ill tell him no, i cant believe it only has a 305 w psu with a dual core...

3 PCI Express slots (one with x8 connector, one with x4 connector, one with x1 connector), all 2.5GHz.

Eh, whatever...
It seems a lot to me that you and madmatt are simply contradicting eachother while at the same time, agreeing...
I'll just have him go for a compaq, i found one with an amd 64 3400 for 489 or something... thats cheap enough (I like compaq over dell, no offense)

Ok this was fun. I found somebody talking about the same subject.

These low proced Dell series server boxes are intentionally crippled so you can't make them into performance desktops. There is some discussion of hacking them to get around this.

http://www.digg.com/mods/Hack_an_8X_PCI-E_to_16x

The power supply is still a show stopper. Even if you consider throwing in a cheap PSU you need to make sure Dell did not use a mini power supply mounting setup.

Im just gonna go with the compaq, its not much more and its better, even though its not very good in terms of video upgrading, he'll have to settle for an agp card...

This is getting silly, by the time you add the psu the video card the server itself, you end up paying more than just building one

For the dell i might have killed: http://compusa.shoplocal.com/compus...storeid=2402191&CatTreeID=52689&L1CatID=52689

Is it ok?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back