Norton Virus hangs when other computers not on network

R

Red_Arrow

For some odd reason everytime I start my computer when they are no other computers on the network, Norton AntiVirus just hangs for about 1min stopping me from doing anything else.

But when the computer that connects to the net is online and I start up my computer it works fine, loads up instanly.

Using XP Pro, AMD 2000XP+, 256DDR RAM, Gainward Geforce4 Ti4600.

This is the 3rd time I have re-installed XP and it does this everytime. Any ideas?

I thought perhaps Norton is trying to dial home before it starts, but I have told it not too.

Dialing home would not make the pc hanging. Try disabling the monitor part of the antivirus. This might solve it. Also, any antivirus monitoring part will slow down your pc significantly, since it is testing pretty much any file that is loaded into memory, and it takes away hell lots of resources.

Thx but I would rather have Norton making sure my system is safe. Anyway it has nothing to do with that...I think.

Every time the other computer on the LAN is not switched Norton hangs for 1min, but as soon as I switch the other computer on Norton boots up in seconds. So I suspect it has nothing to do with it scanning my system.

Anyone else have ideas?

Any possibility to try another antivirus? norton might have some conflict. Try kaspersky maybe www.kaspersky.com

Also, maybe to try to uninstall/reinstall Norton (make sure you delete all the files it leaves out thought, like c:\program files\common files\symatec shared\, etc)

Sorry I forgot to say I have also used McAfee VirusScan and I had the same problem, so I know it must be something do with XP.

same problem

I had / have the same problem. . .

norton av kept hanging. . .also, it caused other problems. . .

it kept saying all my word files were infected, which they weren't. . .just weird stuff. . .

so, uninstalled it, re-installed it. . .same problem

re-installed XP. . .same problem. . .

finally, got rid of norton. . reformated and reinstalled everything. . .(no biggy. . computer only 2 weeks old). . .then, installed mcafee. . .

it hangs up a wee bit. . .BUT it does not cause the same probs norton was. . .. ..

Gateway 700xl
2.4 GHZ
1024 MB RDRAM
120 GB HD
128 MB GeForce 4 Ti-4600
Soundblaster Audigy w/ IE1394
Boston Acoustics BA7800
19" Diamondtron

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back