Norton System Works

I

intelligentxp

Is there a way to speed up norton system works on startup?

That depends on what you have starting up with Windows. If you have System Doctor starting up, disable it. It's a resource hog. Disable any non-essential services such as Clean Sweep. Use CS manually...no need for any automated functions.

Disable any autoscans of your system by System Doctor or Win Doctor. Not necessary every time you start. It just takes extra time.

All you need starting at boot up is Norton Antivirus. Norton Personal Firewall is also good, but it's not a part Systemworks, although it will integrate itself into the application if you desire.

Also, type MSCONFIG in the RUN box and see what is starting up when you boot. Chances are you'll find a host of non-essential programs that have been placed there by various applications. Uncheck the ones you don't need to start up and reboot. You should see a dramatic improvement.

I boot in 17 seconds after I see the initial Windows splash screen. Time from pressing the power button doesn't count, since your system will need to detect its devices. Each computer is set up differently, so that time will vary.

As far as I'm concerned, the MAXIMUM time it should take to boot should be no longer that one (1) minute. Any longer indicates that there is something amiss.

Oh, and check your autoexec.bat and config.sys files. If there is anything in there, either remark it out or delete it. These are legacy DOS drivers. Not needed in XP, assuming you don't have any hardware that's ancient.

Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back