Norton system works 2006??

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
ok i got NSW 2006 and i like it so far except for this stupid program called Norton protection center. i was able to disable it, butthe dumb icon is stilll in my taskbar, when i go to msconfig, its not inthe startup..how do i get rid of it??

Attachments

• npc.jpg
    npc.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 76
You can't. I've contacted Symantec.

The best you can do is disable the Windows Service for it but then you get DCOM errors in the event log when it attempts to restart. Right now there is no solution. Hopefully they are working on one.

Nice HSR avatar.

well thanks for the reply, it bugs soo much, and thansk for the comment..HSR rules..

Yes, it is rather annoying for those of us who are fully capable of checking on their system. I personally don't need some annoying program popping up telling me to run a virus scan.

Call Symantec and voice your opinion. The more people that do the more likely it is to get changed.

I got it removed. I demanded a refund and switched to AVG... I have been using Norton since the first PC I built many years ago - but this was too much.

HAHA, switched to avg, yeah not to flame but i hate norton.

I've been using Norton branded products since 1995. I've sent three emails and called once to them regarding this new version and NCP.

I doubt it will be fixed, but I still think the NIS suite is better than Trend Micro (which I tried and recommend to clients with slower computers). But that's just me.

failurbydesign said:
ok i got NSW 2006 and i like it so far except for this stupid program called Norton protection center. i was able to disable it, butthe dumb icon is stilll in my taskbar, when i go to msconfig, its not inthe startup..how do i get rid of it??

Install startup control panel here

Run through catagories and remove it.

As for DCOM disable that also as very few applications use it now days.

It's here.

Attachments

• dcombob.rar
    24.5 KB · Views: 33
Personally I think your better with NIS 06 than NSW 06, as I have never found norton's disk scanner / other system stuff fluff removal to be that much better than freeware programs, but its your call :D

I do think their Antivirus / Firewall is helpful though, even though it likes crashing some games on startup when it checks if you want to connect to the internet through it or not.

I hate norton, but I been hearing a lot of good things about this one being he best of the bunch. I was checking it out on a amd64 the other day. It seemed to run a whole lot better.

I am thinking about trying the trial version of NIS out. You don't need system works. The one thing I am hoping though is that they fixed how stupidly assinine the firewall is. The last time I tried it I had to disable it to do certian things ..

I am wondering though. With the release of Vista close buy. And it having a firewall and antivirus integrated, would it be worth it to get NIS 2006 ?

Lee... You can disable the windows service without using this program. As for the DCOM errors there is no way around it. When NIS requests NCP and it's not available you will see the error.

Dublex.... NSW is good for the One Button Checkup (Win Doctor and file cleanup feature).

Johnny... NIS 2006 is an improvement. But the NCP takes away from the improvements. Just because it comes with Windows doesn't mean a thing.

Lee said:
Install startup control panel here

Run through catagories and remove it.

As for DCOM disable that also as very few applications use it now days.

It's here.

yea well i did that andi couldnt frind the program..and whats dcom?

All you need to know about COM/DCOM: http://www.microsoft.com/com/

If you don't mind seeing DCOM errors in the system portion of the event viewer then all you really need to do is disable the windows service for NCP.

Start, Run, services.msc
Look for Norton Protection Center
Right click, properties
Change startup type to disabled
Click stop
Apply
OK

Symantec has once again told me it cannot be disabled (which is a lie) and recommended that you don't disable it using this method because it is a tightly integrated part of NIS 2006.

Well, I now have NIS 06 on my system, courtesy of 1/2 price sale for it on Amazon.co.uk. It does seem to be more stable - it didn't crash Quake 4 for example when I started it up, as it assumed I either wanted that program to be allowed to access the internet or picked up my old NIS 05 list somehow.

Also, I like the quick spyware scanner option - it managed to delete some spyware that ad-aware pro had missed.

One thing worth mentioning is that like NSW 06 norton how have their protection center active by default, which basically assumes your a clueless idiot and need to buy other pieces of their software (like Norton Utilties) - its integrated into NIS 06 but can be disabled from services, if you don't mind checking for virus updates myself (I tend to anyway nowerdays).

Overall its an improvement on '05 so far.

Tip: if you buy the CD or the download version, you get 15 days before you have to activate it, which I would use, as it means the clock doesn't start running on your subscription until you activate it (I have an old subscription that expires 01/01/06 so I'm using the activate period to extend the time so that the subs mostly loop around)

Dublex, you mention that you have NSW 2006. Do both NIS and NSW use the same Protection Center (I would assume it does since mine tells me no protection for certain things).

Your right, madmatt, NIS06 does use the same Protection Center. It just reports that different parts of the system are not optimised (Data recovery, de-junk files).

I'm not a amazon.co.uk sales person, but if you want to renew NIS 06 or buy it in the UK, do it now, as its only £25 - cheaper even than the upgrade to 06 route that I could have taken as I also have a license for 05. Amazon must be doing a special on that product at the moment.

Last edited:
I already have NIS 2006. I don't have NSW though.

madmatt said:
All you need to know about COM/DCOM: http://www.microsoft.com/com/

If you don't mind seeing DCOM errors in the system portion of the event viewer then all you really need to do is disable the windows service for NCP.

Start, Run, services.msc
Look for Norton Protection Center
Right click, properties
Change startup type to disabled
Click stop
Apply
OK

Symantec has once again told me it cannot be disabled (which is a lie) and recommended that you don't disable it using this method because it is a tightly integrated part of NIS 2006.

so should i do that, whatsthe error about? i have nsw 06..

Dublex said:
Your right, madmatt, NIS06 does use the same Protection Center. It just reports that different parts of the system are not optimised (Data recovery, de-junk files).

I'm not a amazon.co.uk sales person, but if you want to renew NIS 06 or buy it in the UK, do it now, as its only £25 - cheaper even than the upgrade to 06 route that I could have taken as I also have a license for 05. Amazon must be doing a special on that product at the moment.

Amazon are doing it half usual price, so are PC world I paid £21.25 not including v.a.t. so inclusive £24.97 and free delivery.

failurbydesign said:
so should i do that, whatsthe error about? i have nsw 06..
It's just an error when the service fails to start. If you are fine with the error showing in your event viewer then it's not a problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back