Norton Speed Disk: To use without Installing ....?

V

Vorpal

I'm going to do a reformat this weekend. I've been getting some tweaks ready and I want to lean out my system for gaming (new set of Ghost images done a little better too).

I own Norton System Works 2003. The only thing I've been using is NAV2003 and Speed Disk.

I'm going to try going with F-Prot as an on-demand no-service Virus Tool (and the online KAV every so often).

I also want to get away from Speed Disks messy installation, mass registry entries and it's installed service.

What could I do to get away from this?
I know XP comes with a built in defragger, but it's so basic. SpeedDisk sorts by most used and by what goes with what.

??

Thanks for any tips

We'll if your getting away from Symantec and NAV then reformatting is about the only way to get rid of all their crap. I use Diskeeper 7 that has a built in "set it and forget it" setting so it defrags while you surf and you don't have to mess with a manual defrag program. Its also really fast.. You might reconsider an install program so it can pick up any little nasties before they stick it to ya!..

Originally posted by ming
just run it off the cd.

? That works ... wow. I'll give it a try.

I'm a norton ghost nut. I'm not even reinstalling. Whenever I change motherboards I start out with one ghost image made right after the XP installation finishes and I setup the desktop. I usually make a series of images. 2nd image being after I install the service packs and updates and MS Office, and a few choice apps (like WinRar and Nero). I like having fallback points.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Enyo
Yes you can run it direct from its folder on the CD. I believe system works 2003's autorun menu will show the option to do so.

Thanks, that's great news. Norton System Works has to be the most messy bloatware. Very annoying.

Nope... I just tried it. From the CD you can run:
-Disk Doctor
-Win Doctor
-Fast & Safe
-Wipe Info

I can not find a way to run Speed Disk Without installing it. :(

Bump one time (just in case).

I really wish there was a solution...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back