Norton Internet Security problems

SysProg

OSNN Addict
I am looking to see if anyone besides myself has a new problem with Norton Internet Security. I have a broadband connection and am online daily with my desktop machine. On Saturday, April 9th, I was on and said ok to the LiveUpdate prompt. The update advised that I reboot to get all of the changes to take effect.

I rebooted and then found that I could no longer access my wireless network. XP Pro asked me to enter my Network key, then would not connect to Comcast's mail server nor to any internet page. I was not even able to log into my router nor could I see the other PC's on my home network.

I work from home some Saturday evenings and need to use the company's VPN to access servers to get to the mainframes. As I was working that night I needed to get on the internet (it was either that or drive into work at 1AM :lick: ). I fired up the laptop and foolishly allowed LiveUpdate to run as the laptop had not been used in over a week. After the reboot, the laptop could not connect to the internet either.

On the desktop, I tried turning off Norton Personal Firewall (a component of Internet Security) and I was then able to access email (via Outlook Express) and the internet. I also tried this on the laptop and was successful.

Yesterday, I was using the laptop and found that it could once again access the internet with Norton Personal Firewall enabled. The desktop still won't work. I am currently running the desktop with the XP firewall enabled.

I tried contacting Symantec but they don't allow you to report problems online unless you're willing to give them a credit card (for a fee of $29.99). A real user-friendly company - NOT!

Is there a way to back off LiveUpdate fixes? If I reinstall, then all of the fixes, incuding the bad one, will be reinstalled.

Just uninstall it reboot on prompt, then reinstall it then update all virus defs, security defs, trusted applications list and software updates till it tells you it's upto date.

This is similar to the problem I had with the new msn messenger 7, I know the updates you're writing about, this is why i uninstalled it then reinstalled it.

Go away Trolls you're not welcome here.

The best thing to do is get rid of norton. Get something that is not so "piggish" ..

Seems you two are being Trolls. Nothing wrong with NIS software, the problem is the people that use it make the problems.

C’mon Lee wake up, the whole internet is full of problems regarding NIS going back many years. They lost the plot in 2003 and have gone downhill since then. Walk into any PC world in the UK and ask any qualified technician about the issue. Anyway it’s all documented on the Net, this is not a personal opinion it’s a fact.

:suprised: :) :)

I don't have a problem with it, been using it for at least 7 years, tried others they don't even make the grade, they're meerly the carpet Norton products walk upon.

This thread is not for slagging off NIS it's to help the starter resolve a problem.

Everytime somone posts about I.E. or Norton we get the gang bangers taking over the thread and saying, use firefox, use this use that for your antivirus, it's becomming annoying.

I concur with your views here but these (programmes) are now totally out of step with reality they just don’t work as advertised and can foul up you XP service pack two installation (and service pack one), download the cleaning programme supplied by Symantec (after you have uninstalled it from control panel) and look forward to a trouble free future (well almost if you do the same with AOL).

All things come to pass. NIS was a great programme when it first came out, but it’s just been left in the pasture pending accountants evaluations. A shame yes, a dead product yes.
:eek: :) :) :)

I am waiting and hoping for that fresh x64 start. Norton haven't announced any kind of products yet tho... I am wide open still!

I would try just deleting all your firewall rules.

I’ve been using Norton products since before Windows 3; they were then, some of best tools you could imagine ever owning under the MS DOS prompt. They were leaders in their field and challenged by no one, they had the monopoly. In 1990 Peter Norton sold his products to Symantec, this company has since been milking it based on the reputation built by Peter Norton. The Symantec problem is that they have ruined what was a great undertaking, based on only one aspect that being profit. They now stand with their reputation in ruins and nowhere to go.

:) :) :)

SysProg asked for help with his NIS problem, not your opinions. If you can't help him, move on to another thread

That is all

:)

Xie said:
I would try just deleting all your firewall rules.

Yes good idea, then just add em 1-by-1.

It's a good idea to remove them all and add permissions every so often incase of a hijack also, I found an instance of giving permissions 8 times for the same software that I updated in 2 months.

Lee said:
Yes good idea, then just add em 1-by-1.

It's a good idea to remove them all and add permissions every so often incase of a hijack also, I found an instance of giving permissions 8 times for the same software that I updated in 2 months.
Yeah for some reason that happens and can b0rk all sorts of stuff.

:) Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

I resolved the problem by deleting all of the firewall rules. I then ran the Add Programs wizard to have rules generated for all of the internet enabled programs on my system. Everything is now back to normal.

This site is invaluable.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Walk into any PC world in the UK and ask any qualified technician about the issue.

Ha-Ha-Ha, i just had to laugh about that,

op's sorry but it did make me laugh, ho-ho-ho

mac

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back