Norton Ghost

nokiauk

OSNN Newbie
Has anyone tried using Norton Ghost to copy a fresh XP install to another machine? If so was it successful?

I doubt it would work properly, unless you were using the same mobo/chipset on both pc's.

Theoretically speaking it would be possible, but as soon as you boot up the machine you copied it onto, you're going to need to install new drivers for all the "new" hardware which windows finds. Then you're going to have to activate it again.

You're better off just installing XP onto the new machine from scratch.

SPeedY_B said:
Theoretically speaking it would be possible, but as soon as you boot up the machine you copied it onto, you're going to need to install new drivers for all the "new" hardware which windows finds. Then you're going to have to activate it again.

You're better off just installing XP onto the new machine from scratch.
I wish I could but the laptop in question has no cd drive as it was removable and I have lost it.

Never tried coping to another machine. I've cloned to another hard drive and done the regular backup stuff and copied to CDR. I'm sure if the hardware were different then you would run into problems as mentioned.

It's possible, but you will need to run SYSPREP on Windows XP before copying it to the other computer. Otherwise, you will not be able to activate it on the new machine (Identical SIDS).

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back