Norton Ghost Question?

D

danke

I just installed XP, it rocks!
Anyway, I already have winME (!) on C: , so I create a partition and install XP on D: , what I'm asking is, can I just image D: with Norton Ghost as backup? I'm not familliar with boot system, as for as I know, XP put boot.ini in C: . Can I just image D: and when trouble comes just restore it ? Would it be able to boot?

Thx

There are a few files (ntldr, ntdetect.com etc.) that reside on drive C, and that Windows XP depend on, also XP alters your MBR (master boot record) to enable the loading of itself. I also have Me on Drive C, and XP on Drive D, what I do is to make one large drive image (I use Powerquests Drive Image, but Ghost is just as good) of both partitions.

TOK:)

thx for the reply,
So I need to image both C: and D: in one large image? Can I do this in Ghost? All I can see is to image a partition or a disk. Do I need DI to do this?

OK, forget about winME, I like my XP lot better ;)
So the next question will be... can I just upgrade the winME to XP, considering I already have XP installed in other partition? So I'll have 2 partition running XP. Will this work?
Anyone?

I woz just wondering, wouldn't it be a little simpler just to do a bit of formatting, and then do a clean single install.??

you're right :)
But I was wondering if I can just upgrade so I won't have to reinstall program etc..
So, ehem, how can I do it? Can I just boot from XP CD and format the C: partition from there? Pls help me step by step, I'm a newb :D

Thx

You could do that, but frankly I'd do a recovery of your entire system if it came with such a CD then install XP over ME, then you used the entire DISK. I am more inclined to agree totally on doing a complete clean install. OR you can still dual boot as is, just install your current programs in the XP partition BUT have them point to the C:\Programs file vs the drive you have XP on.
Saves alot of Space!

--Rich

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back