Norton AV 2003 Shareware screwed up my Norton AV 2002 !!!!

P

Phantom_24

When I installed NAV 2003 Shareware, it ran OK at first. Then it started not working at all! When I wen to un-install it, I get a Fatal Error in XP EVERY TIME!! Even when I turn off auto start-up and make sure that no Symantec apps are running THAT I KNOW OF!
I have tried deleting the folder and all subsequent reg key/links using jv16 but when I try deleting the Norton folder, I keep getting a denial warning box. I'm assuming that Norton is still running in the windows shell because I see the NAV tab in IE.

I have went and bought Norton AV 2003 (FULL VERSION) and tried to update/fix problem that way and I STILL get "fatal error" warning when I try and run THAT setup program as well !!

Anyone have any ideas?!?!?

THIS is why I hate shareware !!!

:mad:

You should have reverted back to the date before the install.

I had the same problem when I installed the demo over my licenced Norton AV 2002. Tried everything, including System Restore and using the Symantec Uninstall utility from their site, but it was useless. I couldn't get NAV2003 to work, nor could I get my old NAV2002 back.

Phantom, I don't want to say this, but I think you're going to have to format that drive. :(
Luckily, I had a DriveImage backup to revert to.

This Sux !!!

You know....I've gone OVER a year with this install of XP, had a few bumps here and there, and I am one to dink around with the system from time to time(system WAS running great until this!!), yet here I try and legitimately upgrade an app using a WELL KNOWN app from a top 10 software company.....

AND I GET HOSED !!!!

F Symantec....Panda still around ??

:D

NOOOOWWW I have to back-up over 25gb of MP3, apps, p0rn, e-mail and just dumb ****....

Doh !!!

Before I sink my money into another AV app

Anyone have a good Freeware anti-virus program they know of?

I've heard of a lot of people using AVG ... never used it myself, but I hear its very good.

Go to symantec support site (www.symantec.com) and search fro the following files

symcln.exe - Remove systemworks
rnav2003.exe - remove antivirus
rnis.exe - remove internet security

alos try searching for "manually removing systemworks" and you will find documents on how to remive the reg keys and folders for systemworks.

btw you have to uninstall all previous versions of norton products if you are installing the 2003 versions.

i had kinda of the same problem, i went to msconfig an clikd start will only needed devices, an drivers etc. an it workd ok after that.

hé yes norton it is good for xp unfortunately nobody is not informed! you delete norton in your's bios ?

I installed 2003 over 2002 and when time was up I uninstalled and didnt have a problem. Formatting a HDD is the very very last option. Try disabling it in msconfig restart and try again. I'll see what I can find out.

1) As suggested above, go to Symantec's web site and download their uninstaller.

2) Why are your data files on the same partition as your OS? This is a perfect example of why everyone should have at least two partitions.

OK.....finaly got SOMEWHERE on this problem !!

Thanx for ALL the help folks!! Really !!

After MUCH dinking around, and after the NAV remover was of no real help, I got Norton 2002 to Re-install, NOW though.....LiveUpdate won't run form the NAV dialog box (get an error saying LiveUpdate is NOT installed and to run installer again....DOH !!) Yeat even though I tried that, I stil get the same error every time I try and run LiveUpdate.

Soooooo.....Norton run fine AND autostarts just as well. But to get it to update, I have to MANUALLY run the AUPDATE.exe from it's Symantec folder.....

Oh well...... at least I fought off a format....for now!

Thanx again everyone !!

then u can download virus definitions manually at the symantec website.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back