norton antivirus liveupdate

dubstar

format c:
"the update was not completed.
the update process was unable to complete successfully.
please click 'details' for more information.

then i click details, and it says:

"Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1

NAVNT 9.00"

anybody know what it means? whats NAVNT 9.00???:confused:

If you don't mind redownloading the updates, try uninstalling, killing NAV's folder in Program Files, then reinstall.

I would first try Symantec's support. They have a huge Knowledge Base.

how do you think my ShortName Creation got disabled? does it come like that normally?

No it does not.

Its mainly set to disabled for performace gains for NTFS formatted drives, one less thing to write for each file. It causes more problems than its worth however.

Have you resolved your issue? :)

yeah, it fixed it, thankyou.

but now im wondering how i can keep Norton, and keep the performance of NTFS....:confused:

With 8.3 on or off the performace will remain the same, you wont notice any differance. So many software packages still require 8.3 its untrue and you will run into hassle with it disabled eventually, leave it enabled.

The two bigs on NTFS are last access update and the correct space reserved for the MFT, thats all you need worry about :)

access update? where do i get that? how do i check my reserved MFT space??

To disable automatic updating, change the value of the NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate registry entry (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentContolSet\Control\Filesystem) to 1. If the entry is not already present in the registry, add it before setting the value. (Add it as a REG_DWORD)

Reserve appropriate space for the master file table. Add the NtfsMftZoneReservation entry to the registry as a REG_DWORD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem. When you add this entry to the registry, the system reserves space on the volume for the master file table. Reserving space in this manner allows the master file table to grow optimally. If your NTFS volumes generally contain relatively few files that are typically large, set value of this registry entry to 1 (the default). Typically you can use a value of 2 or 3 for moderate numbers of files, and 4 (the maximum) if your volumes tend to contain a relatively large number of files. However, be sure to test any settings greater than 2 because these higher values cause the system to reserve a much larger portion of the disk for the master file table.

Same regkey where you turned 8.3 back on, settings as above

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back