Norton Antivirus 2004

C

Cookie

Just downloaded Norton antivirus 2004 fro my laptop and I'm wondering does anyone know if I can install it on my desktop too or do I have to purchase another copy even though I'm the only one who uses my desktop and laptop?

No. One installation only by the sounds of it. You can however by a 5 or 10 user licence.

Originally posted by Cookie
Just downloaded Norton antivirus 2004 fro my laptop and I'm wondering does anyone know if I can install it on my desktop too or do I have to purchase another copy even though I'm the only one who uses my desktop and laptop?

I'm assuming that you purchased NAV2004 for the laptop, right?
As you may be aware already, Symantec has included the product activation in NAV2004, therefore it's quite likely that you will only be able to get it activated on one machine, and not both.

Does anybody know if there will be a NIS 2004? Since NAV in included in NIS, I'd like to hold off purchasing until NIS is (?) released.

Yes there will be a NIS 2004. It should be out at the end of September.

Thanks! I've looked for hints at the Symantec site, but saw no reference to NIS 2004 anywhere. I'll wait to spend any $$$ til it's released.

Originally posted by Enyo
Thats only with the 5 user licence?

You can use one serial up to 5 times .. after that you have to get a new key,, they are trying to use the same concept as windows as far as activation .. This is another reason I won't use Norton ..

NAV2004 is a big improvment:

This is the best by far though:
http://www.kaspersky.com/buyonline.html?chapter=610709

V5.0 will soon be out and it will totally kill NAV2004. :)

KAV has twice a day updates too .... you can almost say the best updated AV is the best AV. NAV has alway had very bad compression support though.

For the best Security (AV, etc), information go here:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security,1
(By far that board has the best level of intelligence on information out of anything else on the net).

Originally posted by lechtard
You can use one serial up to 5 times .. after that you have to get a new key,, they are trying to use the same concept as windows as far as activation .. This is another reason I won't use Norton ..

Does this mean that you'll need to purchase/request a new key from Symantec after the intial 5 uses of the original key?

I have read that the activation process is for North America only not the rest of us....i am sure i read it here in the NTFS news section...found a link to warp2search post Here

I think this one computer is a Crock 0 hot steaming dog sh**. Whats the number of people who have more then one computer? At least when a home user purchase this software they can install it on a 2 computers. OfficeXP allows you to install it on your Laptop and Desktop (thats what I was told by an MS employee)

Originally posted by Sinster
OfficeXP allows you to install it on your Laptop and Desktop (thats what I was told by an MS employee)

Did he also tell you that in order to activate it you have to call them and get another key because you can't use the same key twice ???

this is why I like MSDN - It roxx all the way .

OfficeXP allows you to install it on your Laptop and Desktop (thats what I was told by an MS employee)

Just because it "allows" you to install it multiple times does not make it legal. You have to purchase a license for each PC you install it on. MS has NEVER allowed one license key to be used on multiple machines without having an enterprise agreement of some kind. I am sure that NAV is the same way. I know that I had to purchase NAV for a business months ago, and I had to purchase a license for each PC that I needed to install it on. I think you need to do some more research.

Remember... Ignorance does not supercede the law.

Oooh :O

attachment.php

I upgraded my computer and had to call in to get the new key. He ask me if I had a laptop and a desktop. If I had both I could install the same copy on the laptop and desktop. Since I have 2 pcs I am not allowed to. If I call MS they should be liable on what they inform the cosumer. Now If I called Best Buy thats a different story. I called the Horse and it came from the Horse's mouth...

This doesn't apply to OEM. Just Retail.

Yes. You can install Office on your laptop as long as you are the exclusive user of the laptop. This means that you can install it on your laptop, but not your wife's laptop. It is important to understand that the EULA allows you to install the second copy of Office on a portable device like a laptop, not just some any other PC. In summary, you can install a retail copy on your desktop PC and your laptop. It does not mean that you can install it on two desktop PCs. You don't have the right to install it on two PCs. You have the right to install it on one desktop PC and one of your own laptops. Any other combination is not allowed.

I dont know how legit this one is
http://www.tech-forums.net/computer/topic/3729.html

this is from MS website
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];302878

"The underlying principles of Microsoft's product licenses have not changed. Microsoft's EULAs have always stipulated the number of computers on which the product can be installed. MPA does not change that. For Office XP, primary users can also install one copy of the product on a portable computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP on more than these two devices, another license of the product must be acquired. Licenses for copies of Office XP that are preinstalled on new computers are single-computer licenses that cannot be transferred or installed a second time on another computer. The licensing terms have not been changed because of MPA"

"Consumers should use the terms of the product's EULA to determine if this is permitted. In some cases, the Microsoft EULA permits customers who are the primary users of Microsoft programs, such as Office and Word, to install one additional copy on their portable computers for their exclusive use. This does not apply to product licenses that are acquired with the purchase of a computer. These OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be transferred to another computer. Windows XP can only be installed on a single computer. A new license is required if you install and activate the product on a different computer."

"Installing the product on more computers than the EULA permits is a violation of the EULA. Technically, MPA does not limit the number of computers on which the product can be installed. For example, it is possible to install the Windows XP on 100 computers, but activation would not be successful on 99 of those computers. If you installed Office XP on 100 computers, activation would not be successful on 98 of those computers. This limits the usefulness of the installations that are in violation of the EULA. Outside MPA, Microsoft does not know how many computers have Windows XP or Office XP family products installed.

So you see MS has allowed for more then one copy to be installed on a desktop and a laptop. There goes your "never" Theory Un4gIven. It wasn't ignorance but the EULA that states that you are "allow" to install on a desktop and a laptop.

I stand corrected... I am sorry if I offended you Sinister. I would bet that there aren't many companies that have similar rules. I would definately look at the EULA of any product you buy to determine if it's allowed or not.

Originally posted by Sinster
I upgraded my computer and had to call in to get the new key. He ask me if I had a laptop and a desktop. If I had both I could install the same copy on the laptop and desktop. Since I have 2 pcs I am not allowed to. If I call MS they should be liable on what they inform the cosumer. Now If I called Best Buy thats a different story. I called the Horse and it came from the Horse's mouth...

This doesn't apply to OEM. Just Retail.

Yes. You can install Office on your laptop as long as you are the exclusive user of the laptop. This means that you can install it on your laptop, but not your wife's laptop. It is important to understand that the EULA allows you to install the second copy of Office on a portable device like a laptop, not just some any other PC. In summary, you can install a retail copy on your desktop PC and your laptop. It does not mean that you can install it on two desktop PCs. You don't have the right to install it on two PCs. You have the right to install it on one desktop PC and one of your own laptops. Any other combination is not allowed.

I dont know how legit this one is
http://www.tech-forums.net/computer/topic/3729.html

this is from MS website
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];302878

"The underlying principles of Microsoft's product licenses have not changed. Microsoft's EULAs have always stipulated the number of computers on which the product can be installed. MPA does not change that. For Office XP, primary users can also install one copy of the product on a portable computer for their exclusive use. To install Office XP on more than these two devices, another license of the product must be acquired. Licenses for copies of Office XP that are preinstalled on new computers are single-computer licenses that cannot be transferred or installed a second time on another computer. The licensing terms have not been changed because of MPA"

"Consumers should use the terms of the product's EULA to determine if this is permitted. In some cases, the Microsoft EULA permits customers who are the primary users of Microsoft programs, such as Office and Word, to install one additional copy on their portable computers for their exclusive use. This does not apply to product licenses that are acquired with the purchase of a computer. These OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be transferred to another computer. Windows XP can only be installed on a single computer. A new license is required if you install and activate the product on a different computer."

"Installing the product on more computers than the EULA permits is a violation of the EULA. Technically, MPA does not limit the number of computers on which the product can be installed. For example, it is possible to install the Windows XP on 100 computers, but activation would not be successful on 99 of those computers. If you installed Office XP on 100 computers, activation would not be successful on 98 of those computers. This limits the usefulness of the installations that are in violation of the EULA. Outside MPA, Microsoft does not know how many computers have Windows XP or Office XP family products installed.

So you see MS has allowed for more then one copy to be installed on a desktop and a laptop. There goes your "never" Theory Un4gIven. It wasn't ignorance but the EULA that states that you are "allow" to install on a desktop and a laptop.

Another reason I like MSDN :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back