Norton antivirus 2004 (beware)

Doom

OSNN Senior Addict
Just some info on norton antivirus 2004. I got it last week and it really needs some serios work done to it. When I installed it it seemed fine. After a while it started slowing my system down. On top of that the boot time for my pc started to increase dramaticly. I just went back to 2003 and everything is back to normal. It's a damn waist of money. Buy it at your own risk.

Should have downloaded the trial version before buying it. lol :p
Thanks for the info though, I'll try the trial version first.

I quit using NAV because of the fact that it slowed everything down, not to mention it's a bloatwared Resource hog, Pure Crap !

It would slow my pc down so much that it would about five minuted for it to boot, and about a minute for a prog to start ... This was on 2003 .. I totally refuse to try 2004, there is also one other feature that is keeping me from using 2004 - IT'S SPYWARE !! yip you heard it, it calls home giving the company info on everything in your system, what progs you use, what times you run the progs, what sites you visit, what things you download, and whether you are downloading from p2p and such .. Symantec have become sniches ..

I hate spyware and have no room for it on my pc, although Incredimail is worse ..

Thats not true at all, it sends no such to Symantec and if you have evidence of such activity please reveal it.

Norton antivirus is not spyware.

In terms of resource usage if your system is up to spec you should not notice a significant dent. The main thing NAV does like is RAM and if your running short on that you will have problems.

/smiles at ugly avg icon in system tray (1 to two mbs mem useage)

Originally posted by Enyo
Thats not true at all, it sends no such to Symantec and if you have evidence of such activity please reveal it.

Norton antivirus is not spyware.

In terms of resource usage if your system is up to spec you should not notice a significant dent. The main thing NAV does like is RAM and if your running short on that you will have problems.

Hmm ... then why would it be trying to use the prog as an email client ?? this thing has something you never thought of ..
attachment.php

They say the ccApp.exe is for scanning and such, but I don't believe it - It is sending info back to the company ..

Originally posted by lechtard
Hmm ... then why would it be trying to use the prog as an email client ?? this thing has something you never thought of ..

ccApp assumes responsibility for connecting to your ISP's mail server so it can pass the emails through the virus scanner, it does not connect to Symantec!

NAV never connects to a Symantec server other than for LiveUpdate!

Check the IPs it connects to and you will see they are not related to Symatec. Also run a packet capture and see what it does for yourself.

Your being paranoid in the stupidest way here.

With past editions of NAV if it was trying to connect to the email server it would give the the notice that it is trying to connect to the email server and say the name of the ISP .. that does not say it .. that leads me to believe that it is sending email back to the company ,, I'm not really paranoid but this is strange to say the least ..

The IP address shown in your screenshot is the mail server of ceruleanstudios.com (The makers of Trillian).

I am curious to why you are connected to there mail server (a feature of trillian?) but its certainly nothing to do with Symantec.

It's OK to be paranoid, i enourage it but thinking a well respected security application would do such a thing is a little ott. Belive me if it did this i would tell you!

eh no big deal :) At least your happy with NAV 2003, right?

Hmm. I wonder if this is what is causing my slowdowns!

no speed problems with it here.
why are you worried about it calling back home, are you using a warez version? i think Symantec have a right to allow there programs to call home to check they are running on valid licenses.
the moment they dected a warez copy getting updates they should ban it from the update severs.

I don't believe it.
It was Norton.

Using a legit version here of course, I'll contact Symantec I think... but I think its time to put something on the front page.

Originally posted by surge
no speed problems with it here.
why are you worried about it calling back home, are you using a warez version? i think Symantec have a right to allow there programs to call home to check they are running on valid licenses.
the moment they dected a warez copy getting updates they should ban it from the update severs.

When did you install it? It does'nt slow things down straght away. It takes a little time. It did for me and loads of others. At first I thought "great". But then my system really slowed down not just web browsing. Uninstalled and put 2003 back and hey presto everything is running at great speed again.

Originally posted by Enyo
eh no big deal :) At least your happy with NAV 2003, right?

Yeh 2003 is fine. It's just I'm a little miffed having payed for 2004. I'm pretty sure they'll sort it but it's really anoying to see apps like this suffering from not enough testing (like loads of games have suffered from over the years). It's really sloppy work when you come to think about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back