Norton AntiVirus 2002 makes XP hang ?!

P

Phantom_24

Just wondering if any one else was having the problem I've been gracefully dealing with here. Even though it IS a pain in the arse!

When I send e-mail, AFTER Norton is done checking it for viruses, my system hangs for a good solid minute! Preventing me most of the time from clicking ANYTHING on the desktop or windows. Since I've had Norton 2002 almost from the moment I installed XP, this has been going on (october 2001), so I know it's nothing I've screwed up lately!!

And yes I have all the latest updates as well.

;)

Do you really need to check what you send out? I only check what comes in not what I send out, I know what I'm sending isnt' a virus.

I'd have to go with Jewelzz on this, I've noticed alot of problems with norton and it's outgoing scan, just disable outgoing scan since you will most likely know if your sending a virus or not :)

I have had NAV 2002 with XP and the email scaning is totally proble free. I would oppose to that "You know if you are sending a virus". The modern viruses that mail itself around have their own smtp-engine, and they do the mailing in the background, so how would you know that your machine is sending a virus (NAV should I think detect this activity witout the outgoing mailscanning too, don,t know if it does...).

Maybe it is not NAV that is causing you the problems? Have you checked NAV logs? Maybe it is scanning a large file every time your machine sends a message, and it takes time? NAV does check the mail first and then send it to the email-sending program which sends it.

What I have tested NAV 2002 is the most problem free av-proggie with XP there is.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back