Norton Anti-Virus?

A

A_Mersser

Hi....I have a question about Norton Anti-Virus. Every time I shut down my computer, NAV always has to end task but it never used to do this before. It is NAV 2002 if that makes a difference. I am running Windows 2000 Professional. Can someone help me out please??

the first thing i would try is to remove the NAV2002 and clean it up in the registry etc... (backing it up first) then re-install it. NAV is a pain sometimes to uninstall so make sure nothing else is running etc... there is even a tool i believe using once for a complete removal in case NAV leaves crap behind. i thought i used it once and got it from the symantec website but don't quote me on it. try re-installing it then go from there.

thanks for the help but it still didn't work. I even formated my computer today and tryed puting it back on....still happens.....and its really starting to piss me off considering It never used to happen. any more sugestions? maybe the time I installed it...I dunno? you said to make sure I dont have anything else running, maybe thats the problem.........AAAHHHHHH IT DRIVING MY NUTS!!!!

I dont see why ur worried about it, long as it scans for viruses!

simply because its not suposed to happen, thats why

ok....I'm goin to format again, any suggestions on what to do after I'm formatted? like should I set it up before or after I do all the windows updates? I know it shouldn't matter but NAV is a very picky program

It does it to me sometimes, but its not DAMAGING MY PC, so i dont bother messing with it.

Go to the Symantec web site and reference the problem you are having. Many Norton products run into timing conflicts with the OS out of the blue.

Hey guys, I've just installed the NAV2003Beta. It seems ok nothing really big. It has a new feature where it will scan messenger programs if someone sends files to you.

Since I've installed it though MSN Messenger tries to connect to the net when windows starts up and I can't close it out, I get that message where it says other programs are currently using features provided by Windows Messenger. I must close other programs before I can exit Windows Messenger. Usually I get this when there's still some IE windows open, but it's not the case here.

Help for you before you format, get a different AV program, Norton bites, all their products could pretty much be called proprietary, I myself do not use AV, I have no need for it, I can tell the difference between funnystuff.exe or funnystuff.bat rather than funnystuff.doc or funnystuff.jpg

As for stopping a file before it is opened, yeah...I guess it works, but if you didn't get the file off of the email to begin with...why would you open it?

That's just my opinion, if AV makes you feel safer, go ahead and use it, to me, it just causes lag when I play games online, and takes up System Resources...

I was using Grisoft AVG - free version prior to installing this Beta as I just wanted to see what the new version would be like.

But back to my question, do you have any idea what could be causing that?

Yeah...it's Norton...

Just the way it is, you have something it doesn't like...maybe it's jealous or something...that's the way Norton is.

A_Mersser, can you see any conflicts in event viewer? im surprised that right after a format that you would have a problem again. i doubt its a hardware conflict but if it continues then try another program like AVG from www.grisoft.com, McAfee is terrible and will drive you insane as it does most users. Symantec is good when it comes to AV but their programs tie up most system resources. I had their firewall and recently switched to Sygate Pro and have not looked back and i swear my system runs faster and more efficiently.

that is the funniest $#!t ever, i go and check my NAV2002 after writing that, the Live Update option was off and when i goto enable it, the system freezes and continues to freeze even after cold boots lmao thanks A_Mersser ur now the jinx i've always tried to avoid.

lol, well like someone said above all these replys, I dont know why your worrying about it........I'm not anymore, the program works exactly like it should other then that, its just that little like this bug the hell out of me but oh well.....maybe whatever it is will soon not happen :cool:

I kinda got it figured out

Although the problem still happens......I have noticed that it didn't happen after I installed it untill I ran the live update.....and also, it wont happen if I disable NAV before I shut down......so if that is any more help then I would like to have this problem solved :)

If I were you I would use this reg edit....I came across it for you, and I think that you will be very suprised....use it only if you are aware of the concequences.....

all that this edit will do is exit all the services that windows runs in the background instantly....other then you having to wait for them to exit.....LIKE THE ONE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT NOW!!! THIS SHOULD FIX IT AS IT DID ME!!! Cheers to all of you hard on thought!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back