Norton 2003

delta4s

BLACK HAWK ALOFT
Norton 2003 seems to be slowing up the startup process. Anybody know of any cures ?
Can we turn off the ccapp.exe and other programs that it initializes safely ?
Thanks .

No, you cannot turn off or disable those services. NIS/NAV need those to function correctly. However, you could give bootVis a try and see if it can optimize your start up.

I have used BootVis too.Maybe I need to upgrade my Celeron 466 :).

Originally posted by delta4s
Maybe I need to upgrade my Celeron 466 :).

Christmas.. It is the season.. =)

you could try turning off options like "scan on run or created" etc.. I usually have mine disabled so it doesn't slow my system down.. I do keep "scan email" running and I scan each file I download to be safe..

I only recommend disabling NAV and options if you keep on top of updates and manual scans.. otherwise for many users it's best to keep NAV at it's default settings to scan as usual..

Actually, NAV2K3 is a resource hog at shutdown/resume, not startup.

As for the Celeron 466...well, it makes for a nice tree ornament.:happy:

I do keep updating , but I dont do manual scans regularly.I have done as Robbie recommended , and it does seem to make a
slight difference (on My PC ! :p )

Lets do a poll on how many users are using processors below 500 MHz for Win XP.

Originally posted by delta4s
Norton 2003 seems to be slowing up the startup process. Anybody know of any cures ?

Yes, get AVG AntiVirus for free, it does the same trick as norton, and does not slow you system down!!!

EJ :cool:

@delta4s are you on Xdsl connection to the net? if so go to control panel/network connections/lan& high-speed internet/right click/properties/internet protocol [TCP/IP]/ properties/Use the following IP Address

IP Address: 192.168. 0. 1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255. 0

see if that helps

I am on a cable connection , sharing a 1 Mbps line. I already have an IP address. If I change that, my connection might not work.
I havent tried AVG yet, though.

Maybe I should switch back to NAV 2002 . It worked better than NAV2k3.

This is another IP address that goes on , This IP should be on the Local Area Connection, when you go into network connections it's the second icon on the bottom you use this for, I know it work as I have to do it too and I use norton pro 2002.

yes I am using the Local Area Connection to share an internet connection and I have already typed an IP address there (192.168.100.x)

Originally posted by madmatt
No, you cannot turn off or disable those services. NIS/NAV need those to function correctly. However, you could give bootVis a try and see if it can optimize your start up.
you can also try PC BOOSTER.....THIS IS GREAT.
THE HEIGHTS OF GREAT MEN WERE REACHED AND KEPT...BUT NOT BY SUDDEN FLIGHT.

disable wia

Had the same problem. Try to disable the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) service. It worked for me

I shifted to AVG before I could try this out, I will try it out when I next install NAV 2k3. Thanks for the hint though, razzler:)

Why anyone would want to use NAV is beyond me. AVG does a great job, auto updates has e-mail integration and is not a system hog like NAV. Besides all the rest of its great features it is FREE....FREE. I run the pro edition and the only difference I can see over the FREE one is the interface. If you have NAV especially 2003 on your system or System Jerks 2003 my advice is to GET IT OFF YOUR COMPUTER YOU DON'T NEED IT!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back