Normal cpu usage on Windows XP Pro

F

flextra

my cpu monitor is currently running average on 50-60% cpu usage on windows xp Pro,(no program is running with 25 background process) is that normal or safe? i have no scanners or cameras attached to my computer. can someone help me on this? or whats the normal cpu usage should be for winxp pro?

my computer specs is:

Athlon XP 1500
GeForce 2 mx 200 64mb (detonator 23.11)

mmmmmm I have 26-28% cpu usage with outlook express open /msn messanger and my web browser open on this page.......... I do have a web cam connected and a game pad controller also but not in use( both USB) ....., I have zone alarm pro running , nortons anti virus 2002 and a ram recovery program also running , and still at 26-28 % ....... look in your task manager you can see what apps are using cpu......... yours seems high for sure

well as im browsing this, with 25 background processes, listening to winamp and running outlook express im averaging about 3-5 %. Your values seem way too high...only typical of either opening or closing an application, or running something heavy duty in the background..

Youll have to let us know exactly whats running on it...

Have to agree with WAM, right now I have NAV and AIM running along with MBM5 and browsing this page acd my CPU usage is going between 3-5% you gotta have something running in the background. You might also want to run a virus scan.

I still don't know what is causing this problem, even on my task manager shows that i'm not running any programs, the cpu bar still at 50%-60%. my cpu temp is 44c , is that way too hot?

I'm running Opera browser, IE 6, download manager and still the bar shows 50% to 60%... and getting fedup with this problem, anyway ..juz came across this website , these guys are running their cpu at 100% and they say its normal? are they nuts or sumtin i dun understand?

I'm running Opera browser, IE 6, download manager and still the bar shows 50% to 60%... and getting fedup with this problem, anyway ..juz came across this website , these guys are running their cpu at 100% and they say its normal? are they nuts or sumtin i dun understand?

http://www.techimo.com/forum/t11317.html

Uh...wouldn't the speed of your processor also be a factor here?

If not in the %, then in what "normal" levels would be?

Anyway, if it helps, I'm running a Celeron 500 and when I'm looking at my desktop my Usage % averages out to somewhere about 30%. I have 24 processes running, including AOL, AIM, Windows Messenger, Hypersnap (nice little screen capture proggy), CoolMon, my FM Tuner software, and a few IE windows.

flextra...

those people on that other forum are running a distributed computing software program that uses their PCs idle cpu capablity to do tasks for them...while they are online

Think of it as a way of sharing processing power....

So these people are running big numbercrunching programs in the background while they surf.

Likewise at the moment im typing this to you, ive now got a avi conversion process going on so my cpu usage has jumped up to 99-100%, which is what you'd expect...

so to be averaging 50% you must have something going on in thats using a fair amount of processing power??? I d ont use opera but i doubt that woould be idling at that rate, or even when downloading...

Originally posted by flextra
anyway ..juz came across this website , these guys are running their cpu at 100% and they say its normal? are they nuts or sumtin i dun understand?

http://www.techimo.com/forum/t11317.html

That's a distributed computing system where the computers are made to just sit there and do mathematical equasions and interpret the data it's given. A great example of this is SETI@Home, which uses otherwise wasted idle time to help sift through extraterrestrial radio data.

Oh, and maybe we could help find the problem better if you could post a screenshot of all your running processes. Chances are there's something running itself at startup that shouldnt be.

Sometimes I notice my computer slows to a crawl. I check my Task Manager anf find CPU usage is 100%. Checking Processe I see Netscape Mail Notification is hung, I shut down the Mail Notification and all goes to normal.

Attachment is my normal Task Manager.

i would say normal CPU load if all programs you run are idle, is below 5%

i have 36 processes running right now, and CPU use is at 5% but taskmngr.exe uses 3% - which mean that cpu use is about 2%

my CPU runs @896 mhz...

when your box is deemed idle by xp, xp will do things to try to speed use, rearrange locations, tweak itself in a sense, that'll cpu u

read about it here

screenshots

this is my screenshot, as u can see i'm running IE 6 (updating my winXP), Opera browser, Norton Antivirus

I have the 60%+ problem too. Whenever I'm connected to the Internet (dial-up) and running ICS to connect my other computer the CPU is at a constant 50%+ (normally above 60%). The task manager won't tell me what application is using so much CPU (the Idle process is mostly above 80%, which is impossibe since only < 40% is free). The computer is a PII 1GHz, 256MB RAM btw.

Is it ICS or some other crap?

Take a look at the processes tab of task manager and look at the CPU usage column. If any one process is taking up 50% of your CPU power, then it will have a very high time compared to most other processes. The "System Idle" process is the only process that should be especially high.

If you don't have the CPU usage column in task manager, there is an option to add it to the monitered numbers. I'm at work on Win95 so I can't tell you exactly how to enable it. Try right clicking the blank area of the processes window, or look under View.

Anyway, whatever process has a high CPU time is causing the problem. If task manager is right, then your CPU is only working half as fast as it should be.

Ok, I just saw your screen shot. From what I can see there is nothing taking up more than a couple %. However, your screenshot doesn't show the entire window. If you could resize the task manager window a little and take another screen shot that would help. Also, check the box at the bottom that says "show processes from all users" or whatever it says.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back