noobie website

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
ok so i started a business.

www.elitePCServices.net is the website

(dont comment on the grammar, spelling or wording) as i typed that up quickly just to get it online.

But my question is....
There is 4 pages on the website, the top tabs are used for navigation. The only difference in the pages is which top tab is brought to the top when clicked on. Each time that clicks it loads a GIF file which i made in photoshop. My question is. How do i make the website use 1 GIF file and only bring the button changes to the top (i can make the buttons their own GIF files in photoshop) Is this hard? or shuld i leave it the way it is.. Basicly i want the website to load faster after the initial load. And i am using dreamweaver to make the site.

any and all help is appreciated. thanks.

well you are using images for pages. The image for the contact page is 313.25 kB alone, which will take an age to load on dial-up.
If you want a fast site, try creating one using valid xhtml and css. Stay away from images as much as possible. :)

i think the way ur doing it is right although i think you need to work on the buttons a little more as the look a little out of shape when one the tabs are on top.

nix said:
well you are using images for pages. The image for the contact page is 313.25 kB alone, which will take an age to load on dial-up.
If you want a fast site, try creating one using valid xhtml and css. Stay away from images as much as possible. :)

xhtml and css what? :) i dont program or do webpages. That is why i made images and dreamweaver. I udnerstand there will be a 300Kb load but i would like to have that load once and not 4 times for each different page. (if that is possible) i could make the image a background but i dont want it tiled. And would the majority of people be able to see it if the image is a background?

Elektro Slime said:
i think the way ur doing it is right although i think you need to work on the buttons a little more as the look a little out of shape when one the tabs are on top.

ya i was thinking the same thing, should be easy to fix in photoshop.

would a template solve this problem? i think so accoring to my readings.

edit... or frames?

It doesn't load four times, the whole page is one big image. You need to cut the images up and arrange them in a table or something.

You can make much better designs in Dreamweaver without just splashing a big image on like that. You don't have to "program" or know anything about xhtml, html or css. It's good if you do, but you don't have to. If you can use Word, you can use Dreamweaver. And since you can apperently handle Photoshop, I don't think Dreamweaver would be a problem. There's always tutorials if you feel you need to learn something.

On a side note, a page like that with just images doesn't look professional. I wouldn't take it serious. No offence.

You could use ImageReady to slice up that image into more manageable pieces. Also an idea would be to remove the area where you have your text, make it coloured with CSS or something and then add the text manually instead of in the graphic. it means people with Images turned off will still be able to get something out of your site.

BTW I am currently restraining myself from leaping out through your internet connection and slapping you about the head with a wet carp because you are using a image for a webpage :p

/me leaps out celticfan11's internet connection and slaps him upside the head with a wet carp for using images for webpages.

Seriously dont do it like that.

Just get creative with some colour schemes use standard sans-serif fonts (arial, verdana, etc) and use tables.

Or get a book on html and css, although dreamweaver will take care of those if you take a look. Take youor time and make a corker :D

Geffy or LordOfLA,

Can either you suggest a good book on either HTML or CSS? Can I just go with CSS? Or should I learn HTML first? I'm horrible when it comes to page design.

Yeah, I know the sites, but I actually want *gasp* solid book in front of me.

dreamliner77 said:
Yeah, I know the sites, but I actually want *gasp* solid book in front of me.

Geffy has a good book i'd recommend, i can't find mine at the momemt, and can't remember the title, so no ISBN or title. Ask him.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0957921829/qid=1117605988/026-6403268-4151604

HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS for those that cant read amazon api :p

The best thing todo though is to stop thinking its hard and that you cant do it.
It is so stupidly simple that you dont really need a book.

Loko for an app called topstyle pro as well. Awesomelly usefull.

Also design with IE and Opera users in mind. you can ignore Gecko based browsers until MozF get off their high horses and implement CSS properly instead of trying to make the world do things their way..

i have to much to learn about to learn html and css
between my job (network engineer) and this side job i have no time. That is why i made a webpage an image, its cause its the most efficent way i could do it without paying someone and without learning anything new. Maybe i will just pay someone to do it.

Heh, you're almost as lazy as me :D

Its not hard to learn. :D

If you like I can throw something together for you in my spare time but dont expect anything to appear overnight. Just send me details or catch me on osnn irc sometime.

update: the site is getting coded for me for free :). My friends wife's friend lol. But its getting done slowly but surely.

X-Istence said:
Geffy has a good book i'd recommend, i can't find mine at the momemt, and can't remember the title, so no ISBN or title. Ask him.
huh....

I dont actually have any books on XHTML or HTML webdesign that I would recommend to anyone. There are however a good few made by sitepoint on css. Most of the XHTML I know now I learnt through places like w3schools, and sometimes alistapart

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back