Noob trifecta seeking gOS 2.0 info

jimmj43

OSNN Newbie
Noob trifecta = Noob to Linux, generally, Noob to Linux techspeak, Noob who cut the apron strings to Windoze.

I've test-driven a number of Linux distros for nearly a year after quitting Windoze cold turkey and taking the plunge. I've had good experiences and not so good experiences.

As I type this, I do so on the good graces of PCLinuxOS 2007. <--Best Linux-based OS so far (for me). Earned my lumps with Ubuntu Feisty, Gutsy, Puppy, MiniMe, Tinyme, MINT, Elive and Saboyan.

Tried gOS because it looked like it held a lot of promise - especially for those of us who are financially-strapped and have to make do with older hardware. The concept of engaging online applications (mostly via Google) just makes sense so as to not overbloat the steam-powered machine's capacities. BRILLIANT! I downloaded the gOS v1.5 (I think) and tried to take it for a test drive.

I found NO WAY to get it to connect to the internet on my elderly, hard-wired, broadband cable connection. So much promise dashed...

Then came news of gOS v2.0. WOO HOO!! With that I'll be able to rebreathe life into my neighbor's WinME machine!

Or not.

Maybe it's just me, but.... As I was attempting to test-drive v1.5 of gOS, I failed to find the [presumed] "double secret" help forums. Which led me to believe that if you didn't PAY Wal Mart for the OS by buying one of their machines, you were pretty much on our own.

Then came word that today, January 7th, 2008, v2.0 would "be released".

*ahem*

FOR SALE???

http://www.thinkgos.com/

I'm rapidly approaching the point where I discard gOS as a viable Linux alternative to Windoze. But then I'm an individual, not a corporation.

Has Google sold out? Anybody know of (1) a D/L site for gOS v2.0, and (2) an active/useful help forum for gOS?

according to that site 15 mins and counting till its out

Now, hours later, when the countdown has reached a buncha zeros, I still find only..

"Buy...."

Fair enough, I suppose. But if the OS is widely advertised to be available for D/L and it's a Linux distro, am I outta line in assuming a freebie might be available for a test drive at least?

all well and good except all the download links are for the 1.0.1 version and not the 2.0 version that the countdown timer (and the subject of this thread) was about.

:p

Also, gOS is NOT an OS that was sponsored by Google. Also, while WalMart was the first to carry such a PC, that is not the only way to get support. gOS is a modified version of Ubuntu and help with it can be found on many different sites.

gOS was specifically built with the hardware they had in mind (which is a Via C7 machine with a Via chipset), so gOS may not work as well with older machines that don't contain the hardware it is seeking, especially with regards to network connectivity.

and just to point out again.. the download that is available now is NOT what the original poster is asking for. The download on the site now is for the 1.x release and not the 2.0 release that was the original question. :)

and just to point out again.. the download that is available now is NOT what the original poster is asking for. The download on the site now is for the 1.x release and not the 2.0 release that was the original question. :)

Funny, as I look at the files I downloaded.. they do say 2.0.0-beta1
if that isnt 2.0 I dont know what is. Maybe the site didn't refresh as you checked it?

CipheR

2.0 beta is not the same as the release which was supposed to happen..

I did a quick look again and it looks like they are indeed now pushing the beta version through torrent with a message saying:
Our mirrors will be up soon. Please use the bittorrent download until they are ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
when i looked this morn it said 2.0 on it and no beta tag - guess someone upd the wrong file :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back