Non-active processes?

J

Jayce

Hi Everyone,
Great forum. I've searched before asking this, but if it's an FAQ I hope you'll be kind to a newbie.

At the moment I'm trying to capture video using a Pinnacle PCTV card. Up until recently this operated fine, but it stopped working for some reason. Using the supplied software with the card I can capture in VCD format, but the quality isn't very good. But when I try to capture using another app (eg iuVCR which used to work fine), I drop frames in big groups.

This seemed to be spikes in the CPU usage, so I CTRL-ALT-DEL'd it and check the active processes (all programs were closed). The only processes that were active were taskmngr which used a very small amount of CPU, the vidcap application and something called "Non-Active Processes" (or maybe inactive, this is translated from Dutch).

The Non-Active Processes were using a lot of CPU power, and when they peaked every few seconds, that's when the frames were dropped. When I checked why I wasn't losing frames with Pinnacles software, it seemed that the Pinnacle ware was 'taking priority' from the Non- Active Processes, but all other vidcap software less powerful than the processes.

When I try to shut down the processes, XP tells me that this can be done. Does anybody have any idea what these processes are, and how I can get rid of them? I even tried re-installing the OS, and re-formatting the HD (!), and it still happens.

Can anybody help? Thanks very much in advance.

Specs:

Windows XP Home (Dutch)
PIV 1.7g
256mb SDRAM
Acer CDRW
Samsung DVD RAM/R
Realtek NIC
56k Modem
Logitech webcam

Welcome to the forums.
We might be able to help a bit more if you listed all the processes running.

Heh, don't worry about that. That's normal in XP.

It's "System Idle Process", by the way. It's mainly for cooling the CPU when the system is idle. ;)

Nothing to worry about. It'll disable itself automatically when the CPU is busy with something else. So the reason why capturing gets a bit sloppy is something else. Maybe incompatibility?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back