Noisy PSU fan

G

Gouk

How can I fix a noisy Power Supply Unit (PSU) fan.

It sometimes sounds like a diesel engine.

I cannot even access the bearing to it (it is a bearing type fan)

Anyone help?

Ive replaced one before, but it was dieing.. First, take the old fan out... Then buy a fan of equal size, if the power isnt the same pin size as the old, find an edge to the Power Supply that isnt welded, using a flathead screwdriver towards the top or wherever, open up just a small spot for the cable. Take the cable all the way down to another power source that will work.

I used it that way---bought a fan from plycon.com that had heatsensing, and it worked great..

:D

if you cannot replace the fan or you cant get into it then probably the only thing is to replace the whole psu or you can cut some of the wires inside the psu to make it run at 7 volts instead of 12 this will make the fan run slower, troll the net and you will probably find out how to do it but i think it may be a bit dodgy to say the least anyway here is a site that you can try where you can get a silent psu 300w
hope this helps you a little bit

http://www.quietpc.com/casefans.html

Originally posted by Gouk
How can I fix a noisy Power Supply Unit (PSU) fan.

It sometimes sounds like a diesel engine.

I cannot even access the bearing to it (it is a bearing type fan)

Anyone help?

let the flies out of your wallet and buy a new power supply. Ussually less than $20. :D

The flies are out :D

Got a new PSU for £15 (300W) and my PC is like a stealth Ninja now ;)

its my heatsink that is very loud -- im guessing around 43dbs
but it runs 105degrees during average use.. (athlon xp1800+)

Im running a Duron 800 here and it seems very quiet :D

im gonna sel the PC im on now to a friend for £600 and get a custom built one from Aria.co.uk

its gonna cost around £800, Athlon XP 1900, 512mb DDR, 80G HDD etc

Gotta save up for the £200 though :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back