Noisy cpu fan..

aloozer

OSNN Newbie
Hi..

I've realised my CPU heatsink fan(is that what u call it? the big squarish fan thing that clips onto the processor itself) is kinda noisy. Especially so when I just removed the casing cover. When I waited for a minute or so, the fan noise became quieter noticeably(is this because since i took out the casing cover, so the air flow is less obstructed? more airflow?). Correct me if i'm wrong, the CPU regulates the fan speed right?

That all said, what do you guys recommend? Getting a better heatsink fan? If so, what brand would be good? And if a particular heatsink fan's rpm is lower than the stock intel one, does it necessarily mean it is less capable of dissipating heat from the processor?

Thanks.

I think it's quite common for the HSF to be noisey when you first fire up your rig. It becomes quieter after a while, I guess it's to do with warming up of the bearing or whatever is in there.

The motherboard regulates the fan speed as far as I know, and to do this, it will need to know the temp of the CPU, that's why there's usually a temperature sensor beneath the CPU.

Best option is to go for water cooling. Less noise - more cooling. :)

I agree with ming, although certain cooling systems will generate more noise than others.

The motherboard regulates the CPU temperature. It also regulates the motherboard temperature itself, and in some cases even the power supply or the graphics card itself (on some of the newer models)

The fan noise could also be because a loose bearing on fan itself. A computer is mechnical and it is common for fan ball bearings to get worn down a bit thus creating the noise. My old box does this but it has not caused any problems itself so far (the noise also quietens down after a time)

If the fan slowed down alot and was acceptably silent after you took the cover off, I would say that the problem is your case, it simply has too little ventilation to deal with the heat from your hardware. What case do you have? Any case fans? How are they configured?

Zedric said:
If the fan slowed down alot and was acceptably silent after you took the cover off, I would say that the problem is your case, it simply has too little ventilation to deal with the heat from your hardware. What case do you have? Any case fans? How are they configured?
yeah i guess my casing really has sucky ventilation. no casing fans.
should i get a quieter CPU fan and an additional fan?

Or just get case fans. Unless the fan is worn out fo course, then getting a new one would be a good idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back