NOD32 or Kaspersky

• Kaspersky

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • NOD32

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

dpr

NTFS Junkie
Which is better NOD32 or kapersly in terms of detection rate and low on system resources

Re: NOD32 or kapersly?

It's kaspersky, not kapersly. :p I vote Kaspersky though I've never used NOD32. :(

Kaspersky is known to have better detection rates, but NOD32 is lighter on resources. It's a trade-off, so depending on your hardware configuration, pick which one you think is appropriate. They're both very good, and you won't go wrong with either one of them.

American Zombie said:
Browse around the following then make your own decision.
comprehensive AV-comparison
Interesting. Somehow I've never seen AVG fare well in any test I've looked at so far, yet there are people who continue to recommend it. I don't understand. Is it just because it's free?

Re: NOD32 or Kapersky?

loko how peope fawn over firefox because its free :)

NOD32 and kaspersky are the top 2 av scanners in the 2005 tests to date. take your pick.

LordOfLA said:
loko how peope fawn over firefox because its free :)
And because people say it's faster and cures cancer. :p

I've been using kaspersky primarily because of the low sys usage and the detection rate :)

Have not used nod32 but K is a damn sight better than AVG/norton and mcaffee, thats for sure.

FishBoy said:
weird according to that link it ranked avg 54% i thought it was the best
Look at my comment above. Check out some other comprehensive tests as well. It's far from being the best. I have no idea where people got that impression from.

NetRyder said:
Interesting. Somehow I've never seen AVG fare well in any test I've looked at so far, yet there are people who continue to recommend it. I don't understand. Is it just because it's free?
I've never seen a virus on an up to date avg...I've seen viruses on both norton and mcafee

I haven't seen too many nod's or kap's, I'm told they're incredible

NetRyder said:
Look at my comment above. Check out some other comprehensive tests as well. It's far from being the best. I have no idea where people got that impression from.

I have seen a lot of sites giving it 99% detection rate etc. I always thought that NOD32 was the best too, then I started reading this thread. So I went a looked up some NOD32 tests and found quite a few that indeed did rate it 99% detection rate, what I didn't realize initially was that on reading further NOD32 detected 99-100% of the test group of virus', trojans etc. The test groups only consist of very few items, I found that once the number of items in the test group went up that the percentage started to drop. My guess is that the site the Net posted using a more comprhensive test group then some other sites. Not the NOD32 is bad, i use it, but after this I might look into Kaspersky a little deeper.

James

I've been using the Kaspersky Personal and I love it. I get a warm tingly feeling when I see the little K in the lower right corner of my browser when I visit pages :)

I've used nod32 for a while now and have no complaints. I have used KAV in the past, but it didn't gel for me

Nod32 is pretty solid if you take the time to set the extra setting.

This guide details how to do that for each module of Nod32.

jpom said:
I have seen a lot of sites giving it 99% detection rate etc.
Do you have a link to one of these tests?

perris said:
I've never seen a virus on an up to date avg...I've seen viruses on both norton and mcafee
Perris, these independent tests use huge datasets. For example, the test linked to above used ~91,000 samples. Don't you think a test with that much data is more trustworthy than a few isolated, observed cases?

ya, this is why I don't understand why I norton and mcafee don't do well in my practical observation

perris said:
I've never seen a virus on an up to date avg

Jewelzz was using AVG when Sober.P got through.

I do not know if it was up to date but I assume it was.

NetRyder said:
Do you have a link to one of these tests?

I don't have much onhand, but I can remember looking at the virus bulletin, http://www.virusbtn.com, page when I first started using NOD32, at the time I think nod32 had the most vb100 awards - "http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/about/100use.xmlA VB 100% award denotes that the product in question showed, in its default mode, 100 per cent detection of In the Wild test samples and no false positives in a selection of clean files. " Nod32 was supposed to be the top rated anti-virus according to VB site.

Of course this was before I realized that their test sample apparently only contains the top 100 In the wild Virus'. So that makes it kind of misleading

I don't have any links, but I also was on another page a while ago, they took a few sample sets with various virus' in them and rated NOD32 at 90% with 384 Infected files, 84% with 500 infected files, and the % never went below 66% iirc, but it did continue to drop little by little and more and more different virus' were added. They also mentioned on this site that alot of anti-virus developers put special care into being able to achieve the vb100 award since that seems to be an industry standard.

Obviously I don't know the legitimacy of this site, so maybe I'm wrong or misinterpreting.

Sorry i don't have more for you, a few hours ago I could have just gone into my history and pulled out the sites, unforuntatly that is not possible at this moment.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av.htm
http://www.aspect-systems.com/main.asp?intTopicId=199

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back