no volume

Michael Bridgeland

OSNN Junior Addict
for some reason my sound is noy working. have turned up all volume controls on control panel and everywhere else but i still cant hear a thing! is there a solution to this?

Are the speakers plugged in properly? Are they plugged into the right socket?

Kind of a long shot, but also possible the onboard audio controller has been disabled in the BIOS...

Is there a particular application you are not hearing audio from, or is it everything?

do you have the most recent audio drivers for your hardware?

is your device listed in device manager?

is there a volume dial on the front/side of your laptop? If this gets turned down, since it is a hardware solution it can over-ride any software settings.

ok.. the full story, now that my dinner is cooking..

the toshiba laptop is about 1 year old. a few months ago i had to put all the vol controls in control panel to top volume to get it audible. i use the machine to plays dvds and plug it into my hifi using the earphone socket.

in the last week, the sound has gone completely for all applications, no windows sounds or anything.

how do i try the BIOS thing?

Well, since you stated you cranked it up all the way, there is a chance you have exhausted your hardware and have blown the speakers.

BIOS probably isn't the issue, forgive me for suggesting it :)

I would check to see if your laptop has a dial on the side somewhere....

well kcnychief.. i would forgive you almost anything!! there is a volume control on the front and it is now working.. i feel such a dork.. thanks so much..

by the way, i used troubleshooter which told me to reinstall the MS WINMM Audio Compatability Driver. so i deleted it and could not find it to reinstall.. now that the volume is working, should i worry???

thanks again, wisw one..

MB

What are you cooking for dinner? I'm having chicken here.. :)

well fmc - the same.. with rice. wanna share??

and you too kcnychief.. many thanks

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Michael Bridgeland said:
well fmc - the same.. with rice. wanna share??

and you too kcnychief.. many thanks

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

No problem, and don't worry, I've done that a few times myself ;)

Michael Bridgeland said:
well kcnychief.. i would forgive you almost anything!! there is a volume control on the front and it is now working.. i feel such a dork.. thanks so much..

by the way, i used troubleshooter which told me to reinstall the MS WINMM Audio Compatability Driver. so i deleted it and could not find it to reinstall.. now that the volume is working, should i worry???

thanks again, wisw one..

MB

I was going to mention something about volume control the laptop but I was running late for class. Volume issues usually are something simle :p

so.. should i worry that i deleted and have not reinstalled MS WINMM Audio Compatability Driver? all seems to be working ok...

If things are working fine, that's cool. Try re-installing it, see what happens?

I don't think it would revert to your original issue, unless during the driver install your cat walks over and nudges the volume dial ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back