No video when booting

Agurri

I am what I am
'lo

I bought a new motherboard for my old computer. It is a SuperMicro 370DLE with an Intel Celeron 600 in it. I installed the mobo without any major problem and it's booting. The CPU's fan is running and I hear the HDD spinning, but no video. I tested it with 2 video cards which are both working, but without any results. I hears about doing a CMOS Reset but I'm affraid of doing it, Should I ? Thanks in advance

Oliver

If you reset cmos then you will need to go into bios to reset the clock the boot order and a few other things but clearing cmos will not harm your board in any way , you can pull the battery and wait a few minutes or look for the jumper that clears cmos if it has one it will be listed in the manual. And yes knowing what your using for a card will help.

Moonwraith : It's not a video card problem : I use an Ati Rage AIW DVD+ 8 megs It works since I juste tested it on my current computer.The other card is listed as Trident ... but I know it works. Yes, it's the current motherboard I have.

Kermit the Frog : I can't get in BIOS. The monitor is like when it's sleeping.

And no, no beeps.

Right I meant after the cmos cleared you would need to try to get into bios.

Does the monitor indicate "no signal" when booting, or do you just get a black screen?

I think I reseted the CMOS, but still I get this black screen, without the no signal. BUt I just thought of something : When I try my PCI video card in my current comp, I had to change, in the BIOS, the VGA viewer (or w/e) to be able to see the image from the PCI vid. card instead of the AGP. Could be that also ...

well thing is on the new one I dont see an AGP slot so by default it should boot from PCI.

How did you reset CMOS?

Well, I localized the jump JPT1 on the motherboard. 3 pins. 2-3 were jumpered which is the normal mode. What I did. Unplugged the AC power, took the jumper from position 2-3 and put it on 1-2. I waited 10 sec, and put it back to 2-3, plugged back AC and stared the comp. Is that right ?

Sounds good sometimes I like to unplug set the jumper and then push in the power on button to discharge it as well but I am pretty sure you got it reset. Now one thing comes to mind could be either one of those video cards or both just might not be compatible with that board.

This is a strange one because you seem sure that these cards work.

Hey I want you to please try something seeing as RAM is before Video in POST , please remove all ram sticks and fire it up and see if it beeps, make sure the speaker is connected so that you can hear beeps if there is no on board speaker module that is.

Actually ... i get a signal absent on the monitor ... but about the pci is set to default ... maybe it isnt right. I mean, there is an ISA slot and a 64 bit PCI also ... it could be those too

it might be stupide but ... each time I start the computer ... the motherboard just make a what I would say, a normal beep. But beside that beep, even if all the ram is removed, I don't hear any beeps... which isn't normal

You sure you have registered ECC (error correcting) ram ? This is very important

You know that all ram sticks removed it has to make error beeps and booting without a video card should also get error beeps and these beeps will be different this is one way to know what the beeps are by trying to boot without ram and or without video card.

And no it is not normal to not hear something ..........

Heck ... I don't know lemme check out the brand : I got 1 x 128 mb GB Micro which ..... oh gosh I don't think it is ECC ram and the other stick, 64 mb is older than the 128, so I don't think it's ECC ... hum, I think it might be the answer ...

Well there is a sticker on the ram and there are numbers on the chips on the ram so I am pretty sure you can find out if it is ECC or not.

And yes it has to be ECC there is no way around this.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back