No usb ports avail for printer?

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
Ok, i am trying to connect a HP officejet d135. after connecting i'm not even getting "found new hardware" etc.

Looking in print properties, it seems none of the usb ports are avail for printers. I'm lost, help me?

The intel usbcheck program says the system is fully functional

this may seem like a patronizing question so i apologise, but when you try and detect the printer is it switched on? i have a usb epson printer and i forgot to turn it on and wondered why it wouldnt show up

Did you look under device manager to make sure the USB ports have the drivers installed and are functioning properly?

yes, and yes. I'm so stumped. I just intstalled an old laserjet to the parallel port no prob

Did you first install the Printer Software?

Try disconnecting the printer, rebooting, and plugging it into the USB after XP loads.

I did install the software/driver first. Didn't work. Tried all methods of plugging usb in, other ports etc. Nothing. Tried "add printer" to install the drivers. I think the main problem is that no usb ports are available under "printers and faxes>properties>ports" I see LPT 1, LPT2, COMM 1-4, and print to file. No usb. If I try to create a port, I am asked to find the .ini. Is there an .ini I could use to activate a port or something?

By the way, this is not my computer. I'm trying to set this up for my grandparents. my comp has usb 001, usb 002, usb 003 available as printer ports.

It almost seems to me that the printer is not communicating to the pc.

sorry, haven't felt like putting my puter in the car and drivng 25 miles with it. looking for a laptop to test.

update,

got a laptop and it recognized the printer no prob

here's my idea, feel free to comment.

use WinDriverBackup to backup the driver from the laptop and then install that on the other computer

Originally posted by dreamliner77
I did install the software/driver first. Didn't work.

I am also using OfficeJet (PSC750), I guess this about a year older than yours. When I first opened the box there was a big notice that XP users should NOT install the provided software/drivers.

Maybe you should uninstall the drivers then just plug in the cables and let XP find the required drivers itself. This was what i've done and it works.

that's what i did originally since the cd that came with the printer was v1.0 and not for xp.

so, I uninstalled that so I could install v3.0 downloaded from the HP site.

Now the computer won't recognize the printer.

Seeing as zalood says that the piece of paper said don't install the driver maybe because you did that is the end of it. Is it possible for you to remove all traces of the printer, do a system restore to before the printer came into it, then try with the xp driver?

Just been looking at the hp site. It says there is a help file here> C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\AiO\hp officejet d series\Help.
Did you follow the installation guide here.

I have tried via hp's instructions multiple times. But that was with software version 3.0. It seems it was updated to 3.20 as of December 5. But I really don't think that would make a difference seeing as it isn't being detected as a plug n play printer

How many USB ports do you have? Have you tried each one?

I have av ASUS P4T and it has 4 USB 1.1 ports, however the printer will only work on one of them (USB001).....

Just a thought . .

1. check if the usb port works with other device
2. try rollback the driver
3. add new hardware manually see if its listed on a new hardware
4. you might also need to search the hp cd for inf files and get rid the same file from your inf folder

Try looking in the Device Manager to see if there is any residues of the printer and/or drivers.

there is no residue of the old drivers

system restore will not work (tried, it will not restore)

all usb ports have been tried (4), none work, all work for other devices.

No usb devices are listed as available as printer ports

WILL NOT PLUG AND PLAY

(I hate HP)

ok, I finally got it to work.

Seems there was a corrupt IEEE1284 driver. Uninstalled that, all went smooth after that

One small question left..

Does anyone have the OCR software that HP uses? Or another good OCR software my grandfather could use? HP doesn't package that with the online download and I really don't feel right about sending $$$ to HP for software I should already have.

My hp had all the software included with the driver download. Anyway try Fine Reader. It gives you 15 free tries or a limit of 15 hours use. Use them wisely. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back