No system sounds....

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Recently my XP install had a bit of a wobble, and decided to reboot itself over and over, probably because it thought it was funny (though more likely because of issues with the second HDD in the machine).

Anyhow, after opening the case, and rejiggering things to work, windows works perfectly again. Upon booting, I opened FooBar and started playing some music, which worked fine.

I then opened Thunderbird. However, when an e-mail was received, my mail notification was not played, but rather the PC Speaker beeped at me.

Upon checking the system sound settings, this appears...

xpisacockdo2.png

1. The sound files are still on the hdd.
  2. Sound (output) is working perfectly.
  3. "Windows Default Scheme" is the only selectable option.
  4. I can do absolutely nothing in that window except select the same scheme.
  5. I've tried removing, re-installing, and dancing with, the sound drivers, to no avail.
  6. help!

isn't there a themes and sounds or media component in the add/removes widows components bit? try an un+re install ?

things to try

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key: HKEY_USERS. If it doesn't have a Data entry in the right pane that reads: (value not set), double click (Default) and delete it. If it does, check your HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21 keys for the same.

OR

try runing this reg file
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/audiosvr.reg

(backup reg first :))

Had a look through the reg, all seemed well. Tried running the .reg file you linked, rebooted, still the same :/

Can you try running a System File Check, or perhaps a system restore to a point where everything was working ducky?

Insert your XP CD, Start - Run, from the Run box type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes)

Yup, SFC was one of the first things we did once it booted back after being wobbly.

Not a huge fan of system restore, but may resort to trying it if nothing else does.

Look in services for the “Windows Audio” service and see if it’s stopped/disabled. It should be started and set to automatic unless you have changed it for some reason.

The problem you had may have stopped or disabled the service.

Took a look in there, service is as it should be. Tried re-starting it. Nothing.

Ok Speedy
I’m thinking its user specific and in the registry or a codec issue, because you tried sfc and that didn’t help and the service is still running.

So if you go to the sounds folder “c/windows/media” and click on one of the sound files there will it play “if not the sound file may be corrupt” or if it’s a “codec issue” there should be an error about codec’s not installed.

If the above gets nowhere look for these keys in the registry.

“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps”
“HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Eventlabels”

You may not even find the “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents” key to get to the Subkeys. If this Key is not there I think this could be the problem so,
Create a new user account for testing only to see if the sounds are there and work as they should, with this new account.

If they do and the Key “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents” isn’t in your old account then just copy the Key from a stock XP install and you should be fine.
But in any event with the test user account you can compare the above Keys with the two accounts and go from there.

Edit> Speedy see my other post below<End Edit

Last edited:
Might be easier to logon as another user first too, see if the issue exists outside your profile

Hey Speedy;

I just went to a spare system and deleted the main Reg Key I spoke about and got the exact same screen you have posted I then merged my backup into the registry and all was back to normal.

The Key I think you’re missing/or some part of it is gone is “HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents” this is the one I deleted.

Deleting the whole Key and SubKeys was easier and quicker that trying to fine the one string that is missing/corrupt. If you don’t have access to that Key from another system I can post a copy from my spare system.

I had a similar problem last week. I thought it had to do with a Windows Update that I had just installed. All default windows sounds stopped functioning but music play and CD play all worked fine. Tried uninstalling updates to fine culprit with no luck. Also had installed a couple of proggies for tweaking files on my phones, one did video and sound editing. So I thought that maybe one of them had done the nasty deed. Uninstalled but to no avail. So the only logical thing was to do a System Restore from two days before. All is now back to normal. All system sounds are back and the Sound Scheme I was using is back in the sound scheme box. There are a bunch of fixes for this system sound problem. From regestry edits to reinstalling all system sound files to other tricks. Do the restore and all will be as it was.

Spot on Bush Dogg.

There was nothing under my AppEvents, hopped onto another users profile, exported from there, back to my profile, added it to the registry, and all is well again :)

Very odd, nice find though Bush Dogg :D

Just out of curiosity, how did you find this fix? I poked around on Google a bit as I'm sure Speedy/Khayman did. I have a feeling I was just using the wrong syntax - feel like sharing? :)

Speedy;
Glad that worked for you :cool: .

I should also add that some software adds sound to this Reg Key for the different functions within there software and the way I fix this by copying the Key over from a working account may not have the third party software sounds or even the options to select them under the sound tab but that’s been easy enough to fix (just repair the software install if the option is there or reinstall it) either way this hasn’t been a big problem because most people only have a few peaces of software that install there own sound there.

Very odd, nice find though Bush Dogg :D

Just out of curiosity, how did you find this fix? I poked around on Google a bit as I'm sure Speedy/Khayman did. I have a feeling I was just using the wrong syntax - feel like sharing? :)

I don’t think you will find the complete fix as I described on Google, about a year or so ago I had a few systems I was working on that had the same problem or close (some system sounds were gone) after software updates and I think one was Hardware trouble.

I did search Google back then but all the fixes were just half fixes or needed third party software installed and still wasn’t 100% so I started looking in the registry and comparing keys in the user account, I then found why the fixes on the Net didn’t always work (they were just parts of the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents and in the cases I had as Speedy’s everything under that Key was gone or the Key itself was gone).

I do have my notes on this system somewhere but I couldn’t remember what I named the word document (there are around 1000 word doc’s on here with my note’s I worked up after fixing certain problems one would call strange) so I was working from memory on this, I know my original notes went more in depth but couldn’t find them, so on the other hand knowing of Speedy’s knowledge of systems (I lurked here around 2 yrs before registering) I thought what I could pull from memory Speedy could run with and be fine because I did remember what Key was involved and I have solved that same problem a few time myself.

How I got to the registry in the first place was a system I use of elimination that works for me.

1- What happened before this problem?
2- Check Services to make sure there running
3- Event log.
4- Setup a test user account.
5- Run System file check (this part for me is important if it don’t help, because it tells me the problem is probably hardware, software or Registry) If I know the system I go right to the Registry and compare Keys under “HKEY_CURRENT_USER”.

The steps above works for me so I stick with them (I like messing around in the registry anyway)

Because I was working from memory and not my notes even thou I did remember the Registry Key I thought was the problem I wanted to make somewhat sure before I said Yup that’s it, so when I got a chance I connected my spare system and deleted the key at that point I seen the same screen Speedy posted (knew then memory was OK).

I should also add that some software adds sound to this Reg Key for the different functions within there software and the way I fix this by copying the Key over from a working account may not have the third party software sounds or even the options to select them under the sound tab but that’s been easy enough to fix (just repair the software install if the option is there or reinstall it) either way this hasn’t been a big problem because most people only have a few peaces of software that install there own sound there.

Hope this answers your question.

Goodness. Have a cookie for sharing this fix and THAT information.

OK...my son's 'puters system sounds have stopped working. Same symtoms as described on this post except his play button is not greyed out. All of the sounds play. They just dont play when I assign a sound to an event. He has onboard sound. Everything is as it should be (I think) in the registry and codecs. What can I do now?
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back