No Safe Mode - Boot Magic loads first!

G

geoand

Hi,

Can anybody help? I'm sure there's a dead simple answer, but I'm stuck here. I want to boot into 'Safe Mode' but don't know how - using the usual F8 key at start-up doesn't work!

I'm dual-booting with '98se + XP using BootMagic 7 - the BootMagic window is obviously the 1st thing to load so I've not got the option of selecting F8 for Safe Mode. Any ideas welcome. (I can select the XP o/s Safe Mode ok but it's the Win'98e I want to select!)

Thanks,

Sorry,

I've tried that - didn't work. It looks like I've gone right past the Safe Mode option by that time, it just boots into 98se & will make beeping noises when pressing F8 during this loading up period.

Any other ideas? Ta.

True, however, press and hold the F8 key before you select the OS to load.

I've had the same problem. The easy way is to hold down the shift key before and while your OS loads up.

Still no joy !!

Thanks folks,

However, none of your answers solved it! Holding the 'Shift' key doesn't work either. I've done a bit of checking on both OS and neither has a Boot.ini file - is this possible? If so, could this be my problem & should I create one? (I wouldn't know where to start, I'm afraid.)

When I originally made my system dual-boot, I made the mistake of making the XP o/s (C Drive XP) the default as I thought I was going to use XP's built in Boot Manager. Since I had a blank screen, I used my Partition Magic Rescue Disks to alter the default C drive as Win.'98 & then loaded Boot Magic on here. (ie, C Drive Win'98e).

Now when I boot into XP from the startup Boot Magic selection, I then get the XP boot manager - it identifies my options as XP and "Unknown Operating System on C Drive". Ok, I know this isn't correct but its been working ok for months, but I've never needed to use 'Safe Mode' in Win.'98 until now.

In Win XP System => Advanced => Startup and Recovery => System startup => Default operating system =>

Drop down list reads:

"Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
"Unidentified operating system on drive C."

Hopefully this makes sense to somebody else, I'm really stuck now.

Thanks,

I know it's a little late to help you but I boot 98 and XP with Boot Magic and I enable the boot menu in 98 TweakUI so I always have the safe mode option.

Thanks Waldo,

Why is it too late? Can't I load '98 TweakUI and fix it from there - I can access '98 ok, would that not work now?

Cheers,

Boot magic is a problem here.. it would have been much better to use XP's boot manager.. I have both Me and XP on my machine and by using XP's boot manage I have no problems with accessing safe mode of either system..

Yes, if you can access 98 you can enable the boot menu in TweakUI or install TweakUI and enable it. You will then get several options including safe mode.

Forgot to mention - Just go to the boot tab in TweakUI and check the box for "Always show boot menu".

Robbiesan,

Yeah, I wish I'd used the XP Boot Manager but I panicked when faced with a blank screen, Boot Magic was all I could think of - I didn't want to lose my Win.'98 + data.

Waldo,

Since I'm obviously stuck with Boot Magic, I'll try loading the '98 TweakUI - I'll report back either way. (unless I lose *all* access, I'll be busy then!) Thanks, that sounds like it should work.

Thanks Waldo.

Great! Well done Waldo, I loaded TweakUI and did as you suggested - now get the Safe Mode option in '98 again.

I should've guessed this since I've just loaded the newest version of XP TweakUI on the other o/s. I assume you've got it, [released 23rd April 2002] - it's at:-

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

Thanks again,

George;) ;)

Geoand - Glad it worked. Yes, I got the new XP Powertoys but not sure yet what the differences are.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back