No matter Ahat I do the Audio Control will not appear in the tray

S

Seashell

Thanks for all who answered my question about my computer restarting evertime I shut it down. I have another problem that occured about a year ago and I haven't been able to figure it out. I am using the AC-97 audio driver and nothing I do will make the volume icon appear in my tray. I put a ckeck mark where it says and next time I look the check mark is gone. I have on several ocasions deleted this driver and reinstalled it but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas?

Right Click on taskbar, go to properties. In the taskbar menu, click customize. Scroll down to the Volume icon and change the drop menu to Always show.

Doesn't always work ^^^^.

Thanks for all who answered my question about my computer restarting evertime I shut it down. I have another problem that occured about a year ago and I haven't been able to figure it out. I am using the AC-97 audio driver and nothing I do will make the volume icon appear in my tray. I put a ckeck mark where it says and next time I look the check mark is gone. I have on several ocasions deleted this driver and reinstalled it but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas?
I had the same problem a while ago,no matter what I did the icon would not stay. I ended up having to add it to quick launch and never did figure what went wrong :rolleyes:

Perris had the same problem here , dunno if he ever fixed it.

Good idea but no cigar. I don't hide any icons in the task bar. I run a minimum of tasks that show but the volume icon is one I like to have.
Thanks
Any more ideas?

Found this:

Place your XP CD in then go to Start/Run and type in:
EXPAND -R X:\I386\powrprof.dl_ C:\Windows\System32

Once done: Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 stobject.dll

Lastly, run this reg edit: *see note below* Restore Volume and Net Icon in the Notification Area

Other Checkpoints:
Make sure Hide Inactive is disabled in Taskbar Properties. In Sound and Audio Devices Properties, make sure "Place volume icon in the taskbar" is checked. If it still doesn't work, here are two workarounds:

1. Go to Start/Log off (log off then log back on).
2. Right-click the taskbar & select Task Manager under Processes tab select Explorer.Exe & End Task. Under Applications tab select New Task, type in "explorer" and click OK.

If the above hasn't helped and you have received this error:

Windows cannot display the volume control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed. To install it use Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows XP CD to the system_root \System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps:

Start/Run/CMD. In the command prompt window type:

X: (where X is your CD Drive letter)
CD \I386

Then use the expand command: expand -r sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32

Note: This assumes XP is installed on C: and that its installed in the Windows folder. If not, you'll need to adjust the command accordingly. Additionally, this must be an installable version of XP, not a "recovery CD".

Save Settings on Exit (use this reg edit) *see note below* http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/savesettings.reg

*note*
To use any of these Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Hope some or all of this helps.

WOW you guys are way more compentent than I am. That advice about changing the regestiry was way above my head. I get no error messages it just igjnores me when I put a check mark where it says display the volume icon in the tray?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back