no logon/welcome screen in XP Pro

ElementalDragon

The One and Only
Is there any tweak for XP Pro so that i do not have to log onto the computer AND that it doesn't have an auto-logon (so that it would act like other OS's and just jump right to the desktop? that would probably greatly improve my boot time. i attatched a screen showing part of my results from BootVis

After really looking

I took a closer look at your BootVis graph. Note that the longest time is Logon and Services. It could be that you have services starting that are not necessary. Take a look here for service definitions and recommendatrions for what is needed and what is not.
Black Vipers XP Service Configs

ok, ironguy, i'll look around, but i doubt it's the services. i jus formatted and reinstalled XP pro. i admit, i did put a bit of stuff on my computer already, but hardly any of it starts automatically. probably only like 2-4 programs.

as BV states, 36 services are set to start automatically by default, I personally have it down to 18, 3 of which are AV and firewall related.

If you are a standalone system, disable Workstation, Background Intelligent Transfer, and NLA for starters. Go to your network connections and remove everything except TCP/IP.

Disabling all the unnecessary services greatly reduces boottime and increases free memory.

Services, not programs

Just an FYI, loading services at bootup is very different than programs. MS has services in the OS that load at boot. Many of these are necessary for your system to work, however there are many that are not. For instance, if you have cable or DSL, you don't need the telephony service started, yet it's part of the default services load.

if you have DSL and connect through PPPoE it is necessary to have telephony service running

oh, that's news to me.

Never heard that before. Guess I'm glad I don't have PPPoE. I'm just a straight ethernet to a modem.

I guess I don't understand PPPoE well enough to know why you'd need it.

ok, i removed file and print sharing, and client for Microsoft networks from the settings, but i kept QoS and TCP/IP.

Where would i go to disable the other things you said?

try this...

Originally posted by dealer on "Tweaks Encyclopaedia"
7)I can’t stand logging in, I do it automatically,
Enabling/Disabling Automatic Logon
1. Click Start on the Windows taskbar, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type "control userpasswords2" (without quotes),
and then click OK.
3. In the dialog box that appears,
You'll see: "Users must enter a user name and password to use
this computer" check box.
Enabled will require users to logon, disabling will make XP
automatically logon to the Administrator account.

Jonifen, that didn't really help me at all. My computer always logs on automatically. it does that if you only set it up with the Admin account and that's it. I want to try to get rid of logging on ENTIRELY.

This is an NT based OS, if you don't want to log on use win98

You can get Tweak UI to automaticly input the user / pass into the logon. Then it just continuies without pausing. It's so fast I don't even see it.

You can get Tweak UI from Microsoft. It's called power toys for XP.

yes, Psychic, it may be so fast that you don't see it, but it still increases boot time by a bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back