No Links

omgsoup

OSNN Senior Addict
when i open an email (say a forum update from ntfs.org), and it gives me a link, and i click on it, IE opens up, but there's no address in the address bar. also when like WMP9 is like "click here to update" it'll open IE, but with no address in the address bar. how can i fix this?

There is an MS knowledge base article with the fix for this, deals with having to register a url.dll file but I cannot remember the name of the file.

See if this helps:

Start
Run
type: regsvr32 urlmon.dll
enter

hmm, it said it was successful, but i've just done it and am now too lazy to restart. i'll report back when i do.

Hi BenQuilter,

If you mean I.E. is opening blank empty windows, try this

Run the following commands from start/run. Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful. The first command is the one most likely to work.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

I dont think you need to restart your computer, just close and re-open I.E.

Hope this helps you

hmm, i did all of those command lines, and they all worked, and then i closed IE and it still didn't work. i'll try a repair of IE

hmm, i fixed it. it might've had something to do with me going into the thing that SP1 added where you can choose your default browser, email, etc, and i specifically chose IE, and not "default browser" and then i clicked a link and it worked. or maybe i did something wrong w/ the cmd lines and they started working. who knows?

Originally posted by Alan
Hi BenQuilter,

If you mean I.E. is opening blank empty windows, try this

Run the following commands from start/run. Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful. The first command is the one most likely to work.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

I dont think you need to restart your computer, just close and re-open I.E.

Hope this helps you

What does the 'regsvr32' do?

Originally posted by o_87
What does the 'regsvr32' do?

When you run the command it checks that you have the correct version for your system, and they are correctly registered, after each command you should get a short message stating the command was successful.

Alan

You can use the Regsvr32 tool (Regsvr32.exe) to register and unregister object linking and embedding (OLE) controls such as dynamic-link library (DLL) or ActiveX Controls (OCX) files that are self-registerable. This may be necessary to troubleshoot some issues with Windows, Microsoft Internet Explorer, or other programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249873

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back