No hard drive showing up while playing Half-Life-2

No hard drive showing up while playing Half-Life 2

My new system is on a Raid 0 set-up. I played the first couple of levels on Half-Life 2 when suddenly the game began to freeze. I was unable to move my mouse or use the keyboard to restart the PC so I pressed the power off button on the PC but when it boots now it does'nt go into Windows and a message shows up saying no boot device. I've been in the bios to try and rebuild the array and do a fresh install of Windows but it keeps saying there are no drives present. Could my hard-drive(s) be faulty? I'm using one of those Dell XPS Gen 5 PCs. I thought I'd quickly ask in here first before I go to the hassle of getting Dell out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks...Colin

Last edited:
Do the drives show up in the BIOS correctly?
Windows needs a RAID Driver to communicate with the array, during setup press F6 to load your driver. If not there will be no mass storage devices listed. It is possible that the driver was corrupted and caused the failure.
Are you doing a re-install from a XP CD or from recovery CD's that were preloaded on the machine?

Hate to say it but if you had it Raid0 you just lost all of your data... hopefully it was a Raid1

Good luck man, repost when you know for sure what happened

the Combine assimilated your hard disks

seriously though, tried checking all of your cables or do you have one of those warrenty void if broken seals on the side of your case?

Geffy said:
the Combine assimilated your hard disks

seriously though, tried checking all of your cables or do you have one of those warrenty void if broken seals on the side of your case?

lol :laugh:

No it does'nt have a seal on the case. I've already checked to make sure all sata cables are connected properly.

Steevo - the drive controller is showing up in the bios but the DRIVE ID is'nt, to help explain what I mean is for instance the DVD writer's controller is showing up and the DRIVE ID is Philips DVD 8631.
I'm trying a re-install with Windows XP CD. (using the F6 driver prompt)

mlakrid - It was on raid 0 so I've lost everything (I think)...I'll repost when I find out what went wrong.

Thanks for all your help guys it's appreciated.

OUCH, sorry to hear that man... this is exact reason is why I like to have a ghost image of the drives, then I can use my dual boot, to XP home, restore the drives, reboot and all is well and good in my house...

or if you dont want to go through this again you can reinstall and use a raid1 mirror, then if you lose 1 drive you can reinstall it, allow it to rebuild, and back to normal you go, its safest to use raid1 stripe set with 3 drives however...

not nearly as fast but very dependable...

mlakrid said:
OUCH, sorry to hear that man... this is exact reason is why I like to have a ghost image of the drives, then I can use my dual boot, to XP home, restore the drives, reboot and all is well and good in my house...

or if you dont want to go through this again you can reinstall and use a raid1 mirror, then if you lose 1 drive you can reinstall it, allow it to rebuild, and back to normal you go, its safest to use raid1 stripe set with 3 drives however...

not nearly as fast but very dependable...

Great ideas thanks...I definately won't be using raid 0 again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back