NLITE users, let your voice be heard!

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I have had this ambition for a long time now to slipstream my Windows XP SP2 CD with hotfixes. I have been digging on the internet for awhile, came across autopatcher, autostreamer, and NLite.

Since, in my mind, this will be a long on-going project, I figured I would start a post, gather some input, and see what happens.

Of the afore-mentioned tools, I think NLite is the best because it seems to cover ALL the bases from start to finish.

I haven't gotten too deep into the app itself, mostly because I can't seem to find the answer to my burning question.

Without resulting to autopatcher, how could I stay on top of this? From what I gather, MS releases most of their updates on the 2nd Tuesday of each month, so this is something I would like to re-visit monthly.

Basically, what I would do to start is take my XPSP2 CD, install on a fresh HD and then visit Windows Update. Once I download ALL patches, I would then go to Control Panel, ADD/Remove Programs. Get the KB numbers for all updates I need, download them using Microsoft's page and then slipstream them. That seems a bit tedious, and monthly or bi-monthly, would be hard to maintain.

I found this, but that doesn't seem to do much else except for bringing me to Windows Update, which will in essence hide my updates from me unless I visit Control Panel to get the KB article again.

::::SIGH:::::

I just went to the Autopatcher folder, and all the Hotfixes are downloaded there already :eek:

If nothing else, let this post be for amusement, as I have been searching for so many things my mind is cluttered :)

Ahhh.....if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at? I figure this is one of those things that is better said out loud (or typed) to make sense in your head. I suppose the best way for me to go about this is to download Autopatcher whenever it's updated, or however often I feel like doing it, to keep up on the updates.

NLITE is building right now, should be interesting to see how my first whack goes.

what is this I have seen about how some hotfixes are password protected by MS?

?? link to a password protected XP SP2 critical update please??

that is not a critical update ;)

well could be called critical if "Your CD-RW drive is not recognized as a rewritable drive in Windows XP Service Pack 2 or in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005"

if your creating XPSP2 unatended CD's YOU SHOULD not be installing that.. best to only integrate Critical ones

special/specific/optional updates need only be applied if they are needed, hence why that update says
"A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem"

NLite is a great, intuitive application for slipstreaming... but I no of know easy way to continually integrate hotfixes.

How do I set options during the non-GUI interface? It's asking me partition information, what file system (NTFS or FA32) etc.

you could manually edit the WINNT.SIF file to select

[Data]
AutoPartition=0

[Unattended]
FileSystem=*

_kC_ said:
you could manually edit the WINNT.SIF file to select partitions

Yah, I know, but that means I would have to use one :)

Using NLite, you should be able to do it 100% from that program.

Besides that, the only bug I have left to resolve is that during the GUI portion of the Windows Setup, I receive an error stating that System Restore is turned off when it tries to install WMP10.

I'll have to check it out, but overall NLite rocks.

muzikool said:
Have you looked here?

Yeah, I did most of that already. I decided not to get too crazy with removing or tweaking things because I want to be able to use this for a wide-variety of computers. I have .reg files that I push out through GPO to control settings in areas where needed most.

what u need is this nothing more

http://ryanvm.msfn.org/updatepack.htmlhttp://www.whatcounter.com/dlcount.php?id=RyanVM&url=files/RVMUpdatePack1.2.2Full.cab

then u need this update:

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/122to122b-full.rar

MANUAL INTEGRATION DIRECTIONS
Extract 1.2.2 CAB to i386 directory
Extract 1.2.2b RAR to i386 directory
Follow integration directions on my site
NLITE INTEGRATION DIRECTIONS
Integrate 1.2.2 normally via nLite wizard
Extract 1.2.2b RAR to i386 directory before making ISO
Delete __integrate.exe from i386 directory
Create ISO

Update Pack nlite Integration Directions

http://ryanvm.msfn.org/nlite.html

Last edited:
kcnychief said:
Yah, I know, but that means I would have to use one :)

Using NLite, you should be able to do it 100% from that program.

i only use nlite for integrating hotfixes.. rest of cd is done manually, when i started doing these cd's for work there was no such thing as nlite ;)

about MP10... u could try MP10 slipstreamer or the way i do it is
in my GUIrunonce.cmd

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Windows Media Player 10
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\mp10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"

_kC_ said:
i only use nlite for integrating hotfixes.. rest of cd is done manually, when i started doing these cd's for work there was no such thing as nlite ;)

about MP10... u could try MP190 slipstreamer or the way i do it is
in my GUIrunonce.cmd

ECHO.
ECHO Installing Windows Media Player 10
ECHO Please wait...
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\mp10Setup.exe /q:A /c:"setup_wm.exe /Q /R:N /DisallowSystemRestore"

Yeah, I have done winnt.sif since WIN2K, but wanted to try this. I think I am going to strip out WMP10 for now, mostly because I don't really use it and the clients can set it up on their own. I want to get the CD itself 100% working with no prompts, and then add to it. I was amazed how fast it went too, very nice utility.

You say that when you started doing it there was no NLITE, well when computers first came out there was no NTFS. You need to be able to adapt :) j/k, thanks for the info!

is there anyway to slipstream all patches from sp2 onwards, into and exe and just run them all at once?

yep i forgot to attach the links

anyway

with the ryan update pack and nlite u can integrate the hotfixes it works and its easy thats what i always use

hmm that would be called a rollup... apart from manually doing it with something like instalshield or Wise, i dont know of any easy way..

take a look at autopatcher 2005 (basically a post sp2 Rollup with tweaks etc)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back