• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

(nix) File Systems ¿ ?

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Which file systems do you recommend for *nix operating systems ?

Mostly Linux distributions seem to default to ext2, or more recently ext3, yet when i read articles dotted around the web it seems that users recomend file sytems such as XFS or Reiser.

Personaly i've only ever used:
ext2 (Mandrake + Redhat + Slackware)
ext3 (Mandrake)
FFS (NetBSD)

So do others file systems such as XFS actually provide any real optimisations or improvements over the standardised ext2/3 ? ¿ ?

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
I think im gonna find thats all that most people have used with it being the pre-set default in most distributions.

I definately recommend ext3 over ext2. Some people don't want to use ext3 since it's not "standard" yet, but I disagree. ext3 is Journalizing, like NTFS. This means, in short, that if you crash or reboot without shutting down, you won't have to run a long disk checking routine before starting. Very nice if you're new to Linux and are prone to f*ck things up. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxioalix