NIS 2003 Problem

A

alloy25

I updaterd NIS a few days ago and since the update my NIS has been a bit tempormental ......... Sometimes wen I boot up it says that it cant do any thing as I'm not the Supervisor ????? Wich only happens sometimes ?????

It also has the option to load on startup and this box is checked....but it never does ?????? This is all the time......

PLZ help as I like this program...

If any one knows of a proggie that does the same thing and has the same facilities that Nortons do then I'd be open to sugestions....

Oh by the way ...I have NAV 2033 pro installed as well but it wasnt installed off the NIS disk (different disk) ...IT WORKS FINE ????

Thanx for any assistance as I have tryed almost everythuing from reinstalling to using a program called "The Cleaner"

Alloy25

do you have more than one account on the PC? If so, you MUST use the account you used to install the software to configure it.

I'd recommend using that same account to update it.

Originally posted by jonifen
do you have more than one account on the PC? If so, you MUST use the account you used to install the software to configure it.

I'd recommend using that same account to update it.

I am the sole user on this comp...I am using XP pro sp1 and its a 866mhz p3....384mb sdram......64mb vid card........56k modem(dont laugh)......anything else you need to know?????

Just ask if you do.....

Alloy25

Hi Alloy.

This is the fix ive used for simular types of issues:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/docid/2000101111473236

Check out these:

EDIT:

The forum is breaking the links apart.

If i use URL tags the forum breaks the links apart with whitespaces and other tags making them useless.

If i dont use URL tags the forum breaks them into lines.

Next post will have attached links.

I used the first solution ..that was to delete the nisum.dat file....
It seemed to work and now I can use NIS again...but it wont load on startup??????

Other things happened wen in safe mode ????? How do I post more than one pic to show you wat I Print screened????

Alloy25

Originally posted by alloy25
I used the first solution ..that was to delete the nisum.dat file....
It seemed to work and now I can use NIS again...but it wont load on startup??????

Other things happened wen in safe mode ????? How do I post more than one pic to show you wat I Print screened????

Alloy25

Ive never been into safe mode b4 so I was frightened wen it said There was an administrator and me????
I thought I was thew admin?????

The next pic is of the system config utility...there might be something there that can help....

Then the last is of wat happened wen I tried to boot in normal mode???????

I'm a newbie wen it comes to doing this stuff so be gentle with me :(

Alloy25 :(

Put all your screenshots into a ZIP file and attach that :)

Shall try to figure out why NIS wont load at startup for you, get back into NIS and check all your settings, you may need to re-configure some of the application settings.

The default administrator account is displayed on the welcome screen in safe mode, when you reboot it will be hidden again.

Originally posted by alloy25
Ive never been into safe mode b4 so I was frightened wen it said There was an administrator and me????
I thought I was thew admin?????

The next pic is of the system config utility...there might be something there that can help....

Then the last is of wat happened wen I tried to boot in normal mode???????

I'm a newbie wen it comes to doing this stuff so be gentle with me :(

Alloy25 :(

On the last screenshot check the "dont show" box and click OK.

Then run msconfig again and take a screenshot of the startup tab, something may now be disabled from starting which is shy NIS wont load.

Originally posted by Enyo
Put all your screenshots into a ZIP file and attach that :)

Shall try to figure out why NIS wont load at startup for you, get back into NIS and check all your settings, you may need to re-configure some of the application settings.

The default administrator account is displayed on the welcome screen in safe mode, when you reboot it will be hidden again.

Oops ...too late for the zip file...sorry ...I'll remember next time...

Alloy25

Originally posted by Enyo
On the last screenshot check the "dont show" box and click OK.

Then run msconfig again and take a screenshot of the startup tab, something may now be disabled from starting which is shy NIS wont load.

I did this b4 I reposted ...Is that right....

Yes as long as its set to "Normal Startup" thats fine.

Reboot and NIS should load now.

I just went back through the whole thing again and I did wat norton toldme and wat u told me and it still doesnt load on startup...:mad:

This all started after I did an update a few days ago....wwhhhhyyy!!!!!!!

Alloy25

Ps.....everything is right on the startup tab......
..........trillian pro is bringing up the window on startup which it never did b4 all of this stuff I just tried???????

Ah, a patch caused some problems with NIS not loading less than a day ago. I guess this is whats happened.

Check the attached.

Before you do the above check if NIS is set to load in the first place. Just in case the setting was lost when we did setp one and removed the file from above.

Im guessing its the patch issue but check the settings first.

I've read the articles you sent and i'm going with the Detail.txt(i think) and its their fault not mine....sounds good to me.....

I'll let you know tomorrow nite wat happened on startup after I deleted the live update/downloads files....

Thanx for taking the time to help a newbie..I greatly appreciate it...I learnt some things new tonite...THANX ENYO !!!!

Alloy25:) :happy: :D

No Problem :happy: Keep your eye on the article that talks about the patch issues, they may issue a fix for it soon. If a fix is put out im sure it will be on liveupdate to :)

It still doesn't load on startup...even though the option is to do it????
My computer is a bit faster though????? I deleted the files in that folder and tried to do a live update and it still tells me I'm up to date with them....shouldn't it tell me I have some updates to d/l ???

Alloy25

I have system mechanic installed if you need info from it??

Q: It still doesn't load on startup...even though the option is to do it????

A: Yes its a problem with the faulty patch, it will be fixed im sure.

Q: My computer is a bit faster though?????

A: It will be! NIS likes a fair amount of resources so it will run faster without it.

Q: I deleted the files in that folder and tried to do a live update and it still tells me I'm up to date with them....shouldn't it tell me I have some updates to d/l ???

A: When a fix is published then yes, once that occurs it will fix itself.

Keep your eye on the article "Norton Internet Security 2003 does not load on reboot after applying the 6.04 patch via LiveUpdate"

link somewhere above. A fix will be mentioned there when its out.

If you cant wait you can remove NIS and re-install it :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back