NIS 2003 Problem

Originally posted by Enyo
Q: It still doesn't load on startup...even though the option is to do it????

A: Yes its a problem with the faulty patch, it will be fixed im sure.

Q: My computer is a bit faster though?????

A: It will be! NIS likes a fair amount of resources so it will run faster without it.

Q: I deleted the files in that folder and tried to do a live update and it still tells me I'm up to date with them....shouldn't it tell me I have some updates to d/l ???

A: When a fix is published then yes, once that occurs it will fix itself.

Keep your eye on the article "Norton Internet Security 2003 does not load on reboot after applying the 6.04 patch via LiveUpdate"

link somewhere above. A fix will be mentioned there when its out.

If you cant wait you can remove NIS and re-install it :)

If I uninstall wont the problem still be there as NAV is a stand alone proggie??????

According to the info in the article you have to remove ALL norton products, then rmeove liveupdate and finally re-install all products.

I would give it a week or so and wait on a patch. Maybe email tech support see if they can give a estimated time for the patch release.

FYI: Some folks at DSLR are looking for a way to fix this.

Watch this thread:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,6568274~root=security,1~mode=flat

By the way is there a program that is equivilent if not better than NIS but I'll keep the NAV feature?????????

It can be free or not but I would like to know so I have some options....
Thanx

Alloy25

Was NAV installed as part of NIS? Is so you must keep NIS, if you have a seperate installation CD for NAV then you can ditch NIS.

You could use another firewall like Outpost, Kerio, Zonealarm and still keep NAV.

Kerio requires alot more configeration than NIS but is much better :)

Was NAV installed as part of NIS? Is so you must keep NIS, if you have a seperate installation CD for NAV then you can ditch NIS.

You could use another firewall like Outpost, Kerio, Zonealarm and still keep NAV.

Kerio requires alot more configeration than NIS but is much better :)

Yes NAV is from a separate disk......It's NAV 2003 Pro.......

I read a forum you posted on in the security section Enyo and looked at the Kerio one....is that the best out of the lot or is there ones that cost money that are better?????

Alloy25

Ps....can I have links to them plz ?????

Kerio is very good and very popular, outpost pro once its in version 2 will be good also but version 1 is poor (read my other posts)

Tiny Firewall is very good, its the father of kerio if you like. It is however a meaty complex piece of software, over kill for a home user IMO.

I would get Kerio Alloy, its free and it rocks :) Read all the other posts about it and other firewalls its a question that has been asked so many times!

I left NIS 2002 for Outpost 1 and then came to Kerio, its better than both.

The only thing with kerio is that its a rule based firewall and requires setting up correctly, but i can help you with that if you have problems.

Kerio is very good and very popular, outpost pro once its in version 2 will be good also but version 1 is poor (read my other posts)

Tiny Firewall is very good, its the father of kerio if you like. It is however a meaty complex piece of software, over kill for a home user IMO.

I would get Kerio Alloy, its free and it rocks :) Read all the other posts about it and other firewalls its a question that has been asked so many times!

I left NIS 2002 for Outpost 1 and then came to Kerio, its better than both.

The only thing with kerio is that its a rule based firewall and requires setting up correctly, but i can help you with that if you have problems.

Ok ...thanx Enyo, Again, for your help ....I'll go and find it and if I have any probs I'll give you a buzz.....

Wat is the latest ver of Kerio ?????

Alloy25

The 3rd release of kerio is in public beta but i dont recommend it for use yet.

Version 2.1.4 is the last final released.

The 3rd release of kerio is in public beta but i dont recommend it for use yet.

Version 2.1.4 is the last final released.

I think this is wat you wanted...I'm only a newbie with all this protection......

Why does my icon in my sys-tray blink a green arrow or a red arrow??

Alloy25

Sorry its changed as I couldnt post a reply so I deleted them all and started again....do you want the new one????

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/kerio

The top three posts contain example rule sets.

You should impose tighter limits on Generic Host Process for Win32 Services, outbound only, limit the ports it uses if you can (remove the rule and when the prompt to permit access comes back note the remote port invloved)

You should put a DNS rule right at the top, UDP IN/OUT Port 53 Any Application.

You may want to import back some of the default rules if you run into problems (in the settings window choose the misc tab and select load)

Some of the default ICMP rules are important.

Run a port scan at http://www.broadbandreports.com/scan and see how you do, we will work on the rule set by what the results from that tell us.

p.s Is your computer directly connected to the internet? Also do you have a home network?

sorry I'm on Dailup and nop i dont home network yet...

Wen I do this test on the above site..the kerio puts up a screen to ask wat to do......do I tick the box and say deny?????

When doing the scan deny but dont make a rule.

Hows your ruleset looking now? You just want to make sure you keep it tight.

As you not on a LAN it makes this easy.

Create some rules to block port 445, 135, 137, 138 and 139

Create the DNS rule from above and put it at the top.

Then set SVCHOST.EXE to outbound traffic only TCP/UDP

Firewall is working OK, all TCP filtered is good :)

When doing the scan deny but dont make a rule.

Hows your ruleset looking now? You just want to make sure you keep it tight.

As you not on a LAN it makes this easy.

Create some rules to block port 445, 135, 137, 138 and 139

Create the DNS rule from above and put it at the top.

Then set SVCHOST.EXE to outbound traffic only TCP/UDP

Firewall is working OK, all TCP filtered is good :)

I'm sorry Enyo but I'm just not that with it to do wat you are saying as I don't even understand wat ur saying....Sorry:eek:

I've gotta go but if you do a walkthrough for me from start to finish on the info you have got and email it to me I can do it....

alloy25@cqnet.com.au

Thanx...I'd understand if u didn't want to do it but I'd really appreciate it if you did ?????

CYA

Tell you what, ill make a basic ruleset for you and you can just import it! :)

Watch this space.

Alloy, find attached a ZIP for you it contains a basic config to get you started.

Check your PM for details about it and how to load it into Kerio.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back