Nintendo Revolution news

tdinc

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Nintendo Reveals Early Details About Revolution:
Nintendo, the world leader in video game innovation, stated loud and clear that they are not to be overlooked in the next generation home console race with the revelation of several unique features of the company's next console system, code name Revolution, to key media outlets. According to the early information, Revolution will combine powerful technology and gaming-focused features in Nintendo's smallest home game console yet.

In its final form, Revolution will be about the thickness of three standard DVD cases and only slightly longer. The versatile Revolution will play either horizontally or vertically, allowing the user total flexibility in setting up a gaming session wherever they have a television.

Thanks to Nintendo's hardware development partners IBM and ATI, the small system will be packed with power that will enable it to wow players with its graphics. Nintendo's legions of loyal fans will be happy to learn that Revolution will be backward compatible, playing both Nintendo GameCube 8cm disks along with its own 12cm optical disks in the same self-loading media drive.
In the next generation, the addition of the Internet will be important to all consoles and particularly important to Nintendo. Revolution will be wireless Internet ready out of the box.

There's much more to Revolution that will be revealed over the coming months, but the combination of its compact size, wireless Internet, backward compatibility, quick start-up time and quiet, low-power operation add up to the start of a great game system.

nintendo.com

Mac Mini-esque :)

And the backward compatability will certainly help.

Sounds nice. A console thats actually a console instead of a media box that happens to play games. :) It sounds like they may be able to get close to halfing Sony/MS price tags also.

Ooooo, now how to deside on which one of the three. And if anyone says all three I'm gonna smack'em upside da head with a cold ass fish. :D

gonaads said:
Ooooo, now how to deside on which one of the three. And if anyone says all three I'm gonna smack'em upside da head with a cold ass fish. :D

don't smack me but I'm getting the xbox 360 and the nintendo revolution. they both seem the most interesting of the 3

gonaads said:
Simple, do you game or do you want a media center that games? Do you want innovation, or do you want everything but the kitchen sink?

Tuffgong4 said:
don't smack me but I'm getting the xbox 360 and the nintendo revolution. they both seem the most interesting of the 3
Same here... anything but Sony really. xBox is just plain impressive, and Nintendo is where the fun will be :)

SPeedY_B said:
xBox is just plain impressive, and Nintendo is where the fun will be :)
Yeah Xbox hardware wise sounds interesting I guess, but to much fluff for me. In reading over some of the proposed Revotion specs sounds like Nintendo will be doing some very impressive stuff. Also as IBM will be supplying the CPU and ATi the graphics cards for each I'm sure they won't be that far off from each other in respect to "speed" and "awww".

I really don't think there will be much of a difference in specs between all three consoles...they are all going to try to outdo each other in that department.

I agree with Grandmaster.....But I do believe that the "Cell" processor & Nvidia's graphics chip will show its power. over the other 2 machines. but.....again it all boils down to the developers taking advantage of the power to make the games.... :)

Grandmaster said:
I really don't think there will be much of a difference in specs between all three consoles...they are all going to try to outdo each other in that department.
The only difference I see it that Nintendo will focus on a game console. Sony and MS seem to more into the the throw-everything-possible-into-a-box way to go about making a console. Nintendo also has shown in the past they they have true innovation. Shame that it usally comes down to the hype and stereo types.

tdinc said:
I agree with Grandmaster.....But I do believe that the "Cell" processor & Nvidia's graphics chip will show its power. over the other 2 machines. but.....again it all boils down to the developers taking advantage of the power to make the games.... :)
Oh .. forgot Sony went w/ nVidia this round. :)

I have to find the link but Square Enix is sounding like they are going to support the new nintendo system. The pres or ceo of SE stated how impressed he was with the new nintendo system and to me that means there might be more support from 3rd party developers this go round for Nintendo.

When I find the link I will edit the post and add it

EDIT...http://cube.ign.com/articles/611/611909p1.html?fromint=1

Last edited:
Xie said:
The only difference I see it that Nintendo will focus on a game console. Sony and MS seem to more into the the throw-everything-possible-into-a-box way to go about making a console. Nintendo also has shown in the past they they have true innovation. Shame that it usally comes down to the hype and stereo types.
I've always seen it as Nintendo focusing on making bloody good and entertaining games, Microsoft will go for power, and the xBox will again be useful for other things than gaming.

Sony will just sell out and give dev kits to any hobo who wants one, making for about 5,000 games at release, of which 4,998 are sequals with no originality. (You can tell I really don't like Sony, can't you? :p)

Xie said:

Mind telling me what this "innovation" from Nintendo is? :p They failed to include a DVD player in the Gamecube, failed to have any sort of online play.

And all their must have first party titles are sequels to games that came out 20 years ago.

tdinc said:

From the raw processing power being talked about both of them are going to be pretty close in performance. The ATi card in the m$ system has excellent shader speed (according to the specs that were released) and is going to lay the smack down on any current gen system out right now in that respect.

Sazar said:
From the raw processing power being talked about both of them are going to be pretty close in performance. The ATi card in the m$ system has excellent shader speed (according to the specs that were released) and is going to lay the smack down on any current gen system out right now in that respect.

Not to mention PCs will not have a similar GPU out until atleast late 2006/early 2007 :p

Grandmaster said:
Mind telling me what this "innovation" from Nintendo is? :p They failed to include a DVD player in the Gamecube, failed to have any sort of online play.
Exactly. They made a video game console, that played great games. The cube was a small form factor powerhouse. The controllers were new and interesting (as well as working very well). The ability to connect a GBA was also very interesting. The Gamecube also shipped with a modem and had the ability to be replaced with a BBA. ;)

Grandmaster said:
And all their must have first party titles are sequels to games that came out 20 years ago.
Not all, but yes Nintendo has great games. Why wouldn't you take an old idea and improve on it if you could? It's not like each Mario is the same old thing, they change enough to earn the new game title.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back