NICK M, you cursed me!!!!!!!!

F

Flatbeat_Eddy

:mad: argh, remember when i said i NEVER had boot problems? well today i had the BIGGEST computer problem ive ever had, first my HD keep cutting out and crashing windows (although i didnt diagnose this at first), then i tried to use my recovery disk to reformat only to find it wouldnt work.

next i played around with BIOS for ages trying to figure out why my HD kept cutting out while reformatting:confused: :confused:

anyways, i decided maybe my TV card was doing it, so i took it out, NO LUCK. Next i tried re-arranging the HD drives, turning off one while i used the master drive,, SUCCESS.

When i reformatted and reinstalled winXP, SAME problems occured and make me guess it was a HD/hardware problem, so back i went to taking the PC apart and realised that the HD settings are wrong (master and slave werent set right!!!)

i have some questions!!!!!!

1..IF a hd is set to SLAVE, will it power down when its not being used frequently?

2. can this powerdown crash windows sometimes ( cos i think this is what was happening till i set the second drive to slave then it hasnt happened since):confused:

IF a hd is set to SLAVE, will it power down when its not being used frequently?

- Unless it's on system standby, and set to spin down and turn off, then NO.

2. can this powerdown crash windows sometimes?'

Oh to add to that " Congrats, you just jinxed yourself :) "

I always told people I was evil...no one believed me.

- if you turn windows off wrong way...it could. but NTFS never does that. only Fat32.

I'm sorry Eddy, I didn't intend to do it, and it was said as a joke.
Came true anyway. Crappers.

****< it crashed AGAIn

my second HD keeps powering off, and crashes windows?

this is puzzling me, so i have left more space in case its a HEAT activated thing, otherwise this 2 day old drive is broken!!!

what????? BOTH are in use, and this didnt happen until yesterday night, before that it ran for ages with no problems?

Interesting. Yes, I know this much : If a harddrive abrupty powers off, it can cause windows to crash, etc. It's happened to me...

Eddy, maybe your hard drive is screwed over.

basicly, i had to change tohe wire config on the cable to make it reach the second drive,, you see the FIRST connector was ok, but the second was on the wrong way.

so the YELLOW wire was on the FAR right of the first connector, but it was on the far left of the 2nd connector. so i changed it so the YELLOW wire and so forth were aall in the same connectors.

basicly its YELLOW BLACK BLACK RED on both connectors!

****, its cut out again!!!

You altered the way electricity is given to the drive!????!?!?!?!?!!?!??!?!?!? OH MY!

I would disconnect the drive for now. Then, I would try and see what it does on anther rig...

Originally posted by Flatbeat_Eddy
what????? BOTH are in use, and this didnt happen until yesterday night, before that it ran for ages with no problems?

Hmmmmm...are you saying you only have 2 power connectors on your power supply?

hmm, i think ill change to wires back to the original config!!!! ill be back in 30 mins when its done!!

He is changing wires on his power supply? God that is scary. Eddy please come back alive.

You might want to turn off your computer before you start cutting into the power supply cables. :)

no luck peeps,, does anybody have pictures of what the HDD wires should look like???

just for reference!

they look just like hdd wires. what else can they look like?

OK, basicly ive gathered that the NEW Hard drive is ****ED!!!!

sending it straight back , and getting an IBM version!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back