Nice Internet Tip >

S

sphere

I've found that when I get on the internet I like to go to about 5 + different pages to check out news, forums, download etc... but I have to type each address in when I load the browser.

What I did was made a webpage (you can use Word) which consists of about 10 links to my favourite website I visit each time I'm online. I saved this page on my hard drive, and then went into IE > Tools > Internet Options and then in the Homepage address I put the location to the file (webpage) I just saved.

Now when I load IE it loads a simple page, quickly, with links to the websites I visit often. All I have to do is click the link for the site and it opens up in a new browser window. It saves typing the address in each time. I just load IE and click a link. You can put as many links in as you want!

You can also click the Home button in IE to take you back to the page with all your links. Then just make your selection...easy!

:)

Why not just have the favourite's list displayed on the left of IE, or on the toolbar!!??

Much simpler. :)

Or set each link to be viewed offline. then when you 1st load up IE, just hit syncronise and you can click the link and the page will display immediately. :D

just another method.

i hate it when someone posts a tip or different method and then some other person tries to find ways it won't work....

pathetic

sphere...stuy was thinking maybe you somehow dissabled your "favorites"...I know I was...there are advantages to your method which aren't obvious unless pointed out...for instance, you don't have to load a browser, and you will still have your favorite links available...tell us what other advantage your method has over the favorites tree...

btw...here's another method for backing up your favorites list;

it'll only take a few seconds to back them to a safe place... open a browser window and hit file, import and export. Run through the wizard, choosing export favorites ... specifying the name and location where you want to store the backup file. do the same for your cookies using the export cookies menu choice. Save the backed up files anywhere you'll remember, and off the box on a floppy or whatever

IE loads faster than me opening the scroll menu going to favourites then clicking a link.

It's just a suggestion if people don't know what to put on their homepage. I had that problem. There a loads of sites i could put on my homepage, but i couldn't decide. so i left it blank. then i thought, why not put a few links to sites. it loads just as quick as a blank page, since it only text...

I guess u could also use the web page with the links as a background image so u just clik on ur desktop to open ur fav sites!?

Me personally i use favourites - but its gettin a bit crowded in there so maybe i'll try ur idea of the homepage wiv da linx in it.

Originally posted by sphere
IE loads faster than me opening the scroll menu going to favourites then clicking a link.

there is a tweak that I don't use, which tells people to load ie in a blanc page for speed...your idea is a much better solution for people that want speed loading ie;)

sphere, not a bad idea at all. Have you tried to display that HTML page on your desktop for even faster results?

Just to clear the point, I did indeed think you disabled your favourites, as dealer mentioned.

Sphere.. dont be so quick to be mr. high & f**king mighty.

I hate people that jump down ya throat when you suggest something. (even if it isnt waht u want).. :rolleyes:

i have not disabled my favourites, they work perfectly fine.

madmatt, i don't want to do that. i like to keep my desktop neat and tidy, with active desktop off.

i'm just simply pointing out that you could use my method if you can't figure out what to have as ur homepage. it loads just as quick as about:blank, instead you have some links :)

i must say that that is one darn sexy desktop madmatt. Darn sexy indeed.

Originally posted by Piett
i must say that that is one darn sexy desktop madmatt. Darn sexy indeed.

Thank you.

Nice one Matt,

what did you use to create the desktop?

Looks great I'd like to be able to do similar to improve my D/T

The entire desktop was coded using Notepad, using simple HTML, JavaScript, VBSCRIPT, and PHP and mySQL for the madmatt .NET login.

The calendar was done in JS as well. Background (as cheap as it may look) was done in Photoshop (and fits quite well if you ask me).

The system stats are from CoolMon. And finally, the weather is grabbed from weather.com using JavaScript.

Thank you =)

cheers Matt,

I'll have to et busy and have a play, my html isn't too bad but java etc sh!t i have no idea on that front.

My JavaScript coding was terrible before this project, which I started last Thursday, now I have a pretty good hang of it. Basically, if you know one language (ASP, JS, PHP, VB, etc.), it's pretty simple to pick up the rest.

Thanks again.

it's knowing the first language that's the problem, zero knowldeg at this end but we will have a play.

huge ask i know but is it possible you can send me a copy of your desktop file so i can see how you put it together?

maybe better than me trying to reinvent the wheel!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back