nForce

Jz1397-5

XP Bad Ass
I was wondering if anyone owned an nFroce and what you all thought that nvidia should really release nForce2

Originally posted by b-man__
i never really knew there was an nforce !! lol
I knew that there was one, and that ASUS made it but i never knew anyone that has/had one and if they liked it, and how video performance was and so forth. The new one is supposed to be amazing.

Only problem (so far) is that the integrated graphics on the nForce2 is going to be GeForce 4 MX. MX?! What kinda dumba$$ idea is that?? I hope they change it to GeForce 4 Ti before the release!

Pretty cool with dual NIC:s though... Pretty useless as well... (unless you want it as router)

Originally posted by Zedric
Only problem (so far) is that the integrated graphics on the nForce2 is going to be GeForce 4 MX. MX?!
Pretty cool with dual NIC:s though... Pretty useless as well... (unless you want it as router)
They are releasing two types of barods, one with and one without. I would buy the one without because of the performance. finally this will smoke PC800.

I personally think an integrated GF4 MX is a pretty good step; after all, it IS integrated. Much better than Intel's graphic chipset! Great for those who ruin a Ti by overclocking/overheating :) ...at least you can revert back to the built-in graphics and still have decent performance.

It looks like nVidia has a real winner with this chipset: built-n LAN (2 on one version), decent sound, Firewire, USB2, ATA133. Too bad it doesn't support serial ATA.

Bad time to upgrade now anyway with AMD new proc on the horizon. Cant wait for the Hammer to arrive (providing its performance is as good as it's hyped up to be).

I've owned once since feb and I have no complaints. It was great because I used the onboard graphics for a bit while I was saving up for the Ti4400 I just bought. Honestly, the integrated graphics were darn good. I played GTA3 for a while at 1024X768 16-bit and it looked great (until it rained in the game). I got the ASUS MB and it came with ton's of sweet features like on-board 5.1 decoding.

I love it, plain and simple.

Originally posted by scriptasylum
I personally think an integrated GF4 MX is a pretty good step; after all, it IS integrated. Much better than Intel's graphic chipset! Great for those who ruin a Ti by overclocking/overheating :) ...at least you can revert back to the built-in graphics and still have decent performance.
My point is that if they make the Ti instead you can acctually use it. What point is there to have a crappy builtin card when you can have a good one (except from the very narrow usage above)? Take the first nForce. The builtin GF2GTS was one of the faster cards around then. Now that was a usefull builtin! Besides, I don't think nVidia would use Intel graphics on their own board. And with an AMD CPU at that. I just hope the chipset can deliver what it promisses this time. The first nForce was slower than the KT266 (or 133 don't remeber) that was the available alternative at the time.

Catch is right, a GF4 Ti chipset runs way too hot to be on the motherboard. The MX series runs much cooler, most stock cards are cooled with a heatsink only, no fan. And chances are if you are buying a mobo with built in video you are on a budget and can't afford anything more. The Ti series on a mobo could easily add a few hundred dollars to the price. But that's just my $.02

not to mention the power consumption. It is supposed to be awsome with DDR 400. read the thing at tomshardware.com

i have the MSI version of the nForce 420D I like it tons... Saved me money when i built my new system around it... Onboard LAN, 5.1 dolby digital surround sound, onboard Geforce 2 mx 32 megs(which is using DDR ram instead of SDRam), TV encoder onboard(just have to purchase a cheap daughter card for TV out, and it fits into the AGP port) has some other weird architecture that makes it pretty sleak in performance... only thing i don't like is lack of linux support and doesn't like to go into command prompt with Win XP

I have a mATX asus board with Nforce on it, and it's great for lanning, the computer is so small (and was really cheap, cause I didn't need to buy NIC, sound, video, or anything other then the board, CPU and RAM) I like the chipset from a chipset perspective, not just an onboard video perspective. I like, and use the onboard video, although I would like to be getting a newer Radeon AIW soon to do some video capture and such. I just don't like how the onboard video uses the RAM, but the chipset itself rocks.

I can not wait till DDR400 II. Supposed to beat rambus, and samsung will supply the chips...

i made a comp with the 420d chipset from asus late last year for a chick in college. paired it with a 1600+ and one stick of memory... i didn't learn til later that two sticks woulda effectively doubled the memory bandwidth. i assume this would affect the onboard video accordingly... and could make out to be a nice gaming platform. she doesn't play games though, so no biggie. got something like 2300 3dmarks which disappointed me, but best ever for onboard video, i'm sure.

would two sticks and "twin-bank architecture" double the video memory bandwidth as well? if so, you could get upwards of 4000 with, say, an 1800+... which is awesome for onboard.

scratch that 4000+ junk i was thinking. looked it up and you'd be hard-pressed to get above 2700 with that chipset and any processor, even with lots of overclocking.

oh well... we'll see how nforce2 does. }:>

The Asus version of the NForce2 (A7N8X) is supposed to add SATA with a third party controller....

nForce is good for a cheap PC, I would prefer a decent Audio card and gfx card though

nForce is good for a cheap PC, I would prefer a decent Audio card and gfx card though

? NForce doesn't have decent audio ?
I know the onboard video isn't much for 3D gaming (when compared to a "real" video card), but the audio is supposed to be top notch....

(Excuse me for pushing a chipset that I do not actually own...)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back