Next gen graphics cards.

C

Crucial

Hello People,

I was wondering what's just around the corner from our favorite graphics card vendors. (NVidia and ATI).

Anyone know where I can look for the heads up and how long were going to have to wait? I'v got some money and am dying to spend it on a new graphics card asap.

Cheers and beers. :D

wait m8, the geforce 5 will be available in december, with a large price tag too!!

but it should wipe the floor with ATI's driver barren cards!!

as long as msi produce the nv30, i'm pickin one up the day its online.

lol. I like MSI and EVGA cards. MSI rocks though, they put in a lot of cool extras...

you can buy a radeon 9700 right now... crucial sells one with a ramped up clock and its very own ddr memory.. you can wait till they release the ddr II version of the 9700... which btw it supports out of the box... or there is one version out there selling already with core clocks approaching 400...

the nv30 should be available either at the end of the year or early next year..

indications are that it might have a core clock of around 400mhz... it is either shipping with 128mb ram or 256... dunno yet... the radeon too is going to ship with 256mb ram... which it ALSO supports out of the box...

there is some confusion about the nv30 specs though... different websites list different specs... some going on to say that it will ship with a clock of 900mhz... ??????

there is agreement though that the memory access will be 128bit... which is half that of the r300 but apprantly there are processes devised by nvidia, or some other companies they bought, that allow them to still produce on par or better than the r300...

just for comparison's sake this is the white paper nv30 BEFORE the r300 was benched... http://www.infosatellite.com/news/2002/05/a200502nv30.html

obviously that can't be the card coming out if nvidia wants to perform better than the r300...

not only that but other nextgen cards coming out from ati are the r350 and the r400 which have higher clocks, probably 256mb ram... probaby either ddrII or the ddr III thing that is being floated around... higher clock speeds and 0.13 micron process which the 9700pro will move to end of this year/early next year...

you can look on the main page where I have submitted a link with the latest possible specs for the nv30 as well as the specs and raw benches of the 9700 pro, 9700, 9500pro and 9500... and the featured/expected prices...

realise that the prices are around 50 dollars too much unless you buy direct from ATi or some other resellers like bestbuy or something...

please emerge from your shell... industry analysts have been praising the catalyst suite of drivers since they came out.... ati's driver problems died a year and half ago... are they perfect? no... but name one piece of software that is...

ati drivers are fine... any minor glitches you have here and there can be rectified easily enough with patches or downloads of newer drivers...

WHATEVER

Originally posted by Flatbeat_Eddy
wait m8, the geforce 5 will be available in december, with a large price tag too!!

Get over it ATI have very good driver support now and have like was said by Sazar for over a year, its a sure sign when someone feels the need to TRY and put down another brand that it is scared its the biggest form of a compliment everytime a Nvidia groupie needs to slam ATI , the guy asked what was out there what was coming and right away we see the ATI bashers running to post lies and useless comments about ATI drivers or products, anyways either way ATI or Nvidia both make great products and have good support and both have the good and bad that go with anything, you CANT beat ATI for the mutimedia side that is offers you try to get those Nvidias playing DVD's like an ATI you cant but it is a joke to keep trying so hard to put down ATI give it up dude

heh kermit have a little vent there... :)

keep it fun lads... keep it fun

lol

LOL just everytime someone asks about video cards its a given someone starts bashing , like I said both companys offer great products and thats the bottom line no need to start with mine is better then yours its like when we were kids my dad is stronger than your dad or my bike is faster then your bike lol its so childish to start bashing one against the other ;)

so kermit who do you thinks better out of ati and nvidia???

thats an unfair question...

both products are good and offer various features..

depending on what you need and what you want... one is better than the other...

however saying that... at this moment there is no card on the market that offers the speed or the features of the ati 9700pro.. nor the image quality...

whether the nv30 changes that or not remains to be seen... and whether ati responds with their ddr II cards and the r350/400 chipsets... I dunno whats going to happen... a lot of flip-flopping I guess....

which is better? either ati or nvidia depending on what you use the card for :)

Originally posted by Sazar
thats an unfair question...

both products are good and offer various features..

depending on what you need and what you want... one is better than the other...

however saying that... at this moment there is no card on the market that offers the speed or the features of the ati 9700pro.. nor the image quality...

whether the nv30 changes that or not remains to be seen... and whether ati responds with their ddr II cards and the r350/400 chipsets... I dunno whats going to happen... a lot of flip-flopping I guess....

which is better? either ati or nvidia depending on what you use the card for :)

What he said in a nutshell I said it 2 times before and say it again both offer a great line of products its all a matter of what you want to use them for .......

just playing kermit your completely right both have their good and bad points

hmm... to back up Sazar, ATI actually does have the best of the video cards out now with the 9700 pro. it has 128 MB of DDR and is 8x AGP. what is Nvidia's 8x AGP card? only 64 MB DDR

.....hmm.... Sazar, i jus noticed something. according to the stuff you have in your sig, you actually HAVE the 9700 pro. to put what i want to say very, VERY short. ME WANT!!!! lol

I was going to buy a 9700 Pro but now I might wait to see what the NV30 will be like. If it's too costly I will get a 9700 Pro.

So will the NV30 be DDRII?

I have a thing about Asus hardware I think its great, am going to wait and see what comes out in November (fingers crossed).

Thanks for all the info and advice guys.

lol

Originally posted by XP Abuser
just playing kermit your completely right both have their good and bad points

because nvidia is on the verge with the next generation I would wait and look at what happens with the new card and you will have a better idea of what it can do.. then again its always that way wait and ATI will pop out another and so on and so on and so on ........ it dont end lol :D

well ati came out with the first next-gen cards... nvidia went back and redid the nv30 to add some spice and possibly outperform the r300 on the market right now...

just this week a tech show had an r300 sample fresh off the conveyo belt and it was working with ddr II and had clocks @ 550 mhz...

Radeon 9700 DDR II on Tech TV - 9:54 am EST - MrB
An ATI rep was on TechTV last night and he brought along a nice new toy out of ATI's labs, a Radeon 9700 with DDR II ram. I didn't catch it but McTurok from the forums wrote a good summary.

It wasn't really a "HUGH" interview about the "new" ATI Radeon 9700 Pro with DDRII memory.
It was basically to talk about DDRII memory and describe how it works and functions on/with a video card, etc.

However, I will restate this again. The ATi guy had in hand a ATi Radeon 9700 Pro with DDRII memory "fresh from the labs" he said.

They did show a screen with the DDRII card running next to another card (9700 Pro DDR RAM???) I'm not sure. There was a lot more detail with the DDRII card. Again I'm not sure what the other card was, they didn't say.

Nothing was mentioned about a release of the DDRII card or anything. I think the ATi guy wanted to talk about it more but he got pushed/cut off a bit by Leo the host. Got to keep it on topic I guess.

The card that was on the show was only 128 MB of DDR II memory.

Basically what he was outlining on the show was that DDR II is the same thing as DDR memory just that fact they have tweaked the inside of the DDR to make the clock cycle much fasters. Therefore they can raise the clock speeds of the GPU and RAM to get more data through the card, improving FPS, and image quality and detail.

He also said that "they" (ATi, I'm guessing) thinks they can get over 550 Mhz or greater out of DDR II.

the nv30 which is redesigned and optimized will have, supposedly now, ddrII but clocked at around the 400 mhz mark... also the memory pipeline unlike the r300 and over cards from ati will be 128 bit instead of 256...

HOWEVER... nvidia apparently has design modifications that they say should allow them to reach higher framerates which just happens to be the buzzword right now... also it is very possible that the nv30 could ship with 256mb of ddr (or ddrII) memory which I think should kick the price up a notch or two...

btw... all the doom III vids being tossed around are on an r300 card @ 800x600 full specs turn on...

game will be further optimized so you should be able to play full specs upto possibly 1024x768 if not higher...

soon you will see the need for 256mb cards coming out due to the sheer number of textures being processed... unless they can process the textures outside of the gpu and feed it through... hmm a candidate for a possible phD dissertation... I might check it out :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back