NEWS: Intel to Ship Multithreaded Pentium

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Extreme Edition processor due out this year, to be capable of running four "threads" at the same time.

Robert McMillan, IDG News Service
Tuesday, February 08, 2005
Intel plans to release a version of its Pentium desktop processor this year that can run up to four software tasks at the same time. Called the Pentium processor Extreme Edition, the chip will include two processor cores, each of which will support Intel's Hyper-Threading technology, making it ideal for users who are running games or digital audio and video on their PCs.

Intel plans to ship the processor in combination with a new chip set called the Intel 955X Express, said company spokesperson Shannon Love. The chip set, which is code-named Glenwood, will include DDR-2 (Double Data Rate 2) memory, the PCI-Express interconnect, and support for Intel's High Definition Audio technology.

A dual-core Pentium without the Hyper-Threading technology is expected in the same time frame, Love said. Code-named Smithfield, this processor will be available in two separate chip sets, called the 945G Express and the 945P Express.

Read More Here:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,119612,tk,dn020805X,00.asp

No rush for the P4 processors. They're almost the same as the stuff that comes out my rear. jk. :p
AMD64 is the way to go... or if you can wait. the PM of desktop.

I agree with you Ming, I just wanted to be the first to break the news on the forum. I am such an attention whore. :p

Maveric169 said:
I agree with you Ming, I just wanted to be the first to break the news on the forum. I am such an attention whore. :p

bah... stop showing off. :laugh:

Not too excited about this really. But could be cool.
2 logical processors will never be as fast as 2 physical processors of the same spec :)

Electronic Punk said:
Not too excited about this really. But could be cool.
2 logical processors will never be as fast as 2 physical processors of the same spec :)

I doubt VERY MUCH about that!!! hehe :dead: :laugh:

i poop on intel, stank you very much haha, maveric i am the exactly like you, when i was at school today and saw that gmail had a sign up link i was like WOW WOW WOW, i have to be the first to report this, but it went away lol, they are really trying to ûûûû with me!, they are having fun, imagine them at google all sitting behind one of the guys computers him in his chair and all of them with their coffie mugs and he says "Themafia.69 is back, ok watch this", *hits a button or two* and i see somthing and try to persue the link and they screw me again, then they all laugh and carry on sipping on their coffie lol

Had a problem at work with 4cpu multithreading with Server 2000.
Was only using 2 cpu with multithreading.
Is now using 4 without.

Could use 4 with multithreading, but would cost another £3000 :)

You sound like immature AMD fanboys! No offence, but you do. :p

Now for my constructive comment: Isn't WinXP limited to two processorsor something like that? It can take advantage of HT, but dual-core withHT? Will it just use two of the logical processors?

Well 2k server is limited to 4, dunno about pro. maybe 2?
Having said that I do remember reading that MS where going to make some changes to multithreading CPUs were recognised by the OS as one processor.

Intel and Winders = bleh

HT = BS

Zedric said:
Nothing wrong with the P4, it's keeps me warm through the cold winter. ;) :p

BUT cooks your sausage in the summer. :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back