NEWS: Intel being foolish!

ming

OSNN Advanced
Taken from Anandtech:

"While architectural enhancements are important, Intel intends to continue its lead in raw speed. Otellini demonstrated a new high-frequency mark for processors, running a Pentium 4 processor at 4.7 GHz."

Read more here:

What can I say?! Intel intends to continue its lead in raw speed that can only perform to the equivalent of a 2.4~2.6GHz AMD processor. :dead:

I'd prefer AMD/Intel to make a cpu that gives the umph in their processors while keeping the W to a bear minimum. Something that we're beginning to see in th Pentium M processors.

Yeah, I think intel see's sales figures in the 4.7ghz mark... not performance. Hopefully everyone around here knows thats CPU performance is not dependent upon clock speed, and as average speeds rise it becomes less and less important. AMD has the right idea (has all along really :p) about keeping the speed down and efficiency up.

Its great.. after all these years of being an AMD fan and defending them from merciless Intel fanatics who claim that AMD's had horrible cooling problems and overall quality issues... its great to be able to look at them now and say nothing :p Its funny how things turn out.

So anyway.. back to the topic. .........stupid Intel :p

It's hardly news that intel are being foolish, they seem to be consistently cocking things up. At least AMD are still making some sensible moves. All is not lost in the world of x86 :D

Aprox said:
Yeah, I think intel see's sales figures in the 4.7ghz mark... not performance. Hopefully everyone around here knows thats CPU performance is not dependent upon clock speed, and as average speeds rise it becomes less and less important. AMD has the right idea (has all along really :p) about keeping the speed down and efficiency up.

Its great.. after all these years of being an AMD fan and defending them from merciless Intel fanatics who claim that AMD's had horrible cooling problems and overall quality issues... its great to be able to look at them now and say nothing :p Its funny how things turn out.

So anyway.. back to the topic. .........stupid Intel :p

okay... im sorry, but i didnt know this stuff.. thnx. :) How are you supposed to compare processors if you shouldnt look at the speed?

ordeth786 said:
okay... im sorry, but i didnt know this stuff.. thnx. :) How are you supposed to compare processors if you shouldnt look at the speed?

Most analysts run performance tests using various applications and you tend to see the same with the graphics cards as well - benchmarks.

The way I compare it is by using AMD's original PR benchmark when Athlon XP first came out. If AMD still rate each new CPU model the same way they did with Athlon XP, then it'll mean that a 3200+ performs to the equivalent of an Intel 3.2GHz - even though the 3200+ run at only 2.2~2.4GHz.

So, going back to the first post - so what if Intel comes out with say a 5GHz processor leaving AMD way behind at 2.6GHz. Intel's processor is unlikely to perform any better than say AMD's next model e.g 4200+ (est. 2.8~3.0GHz)

AMD's processors are better, everyone who has the knowledge of most people on these forums know that BUT the average user easily is fooled by the speed comparison when they are computer shopping. That's why Intel's 4th quarter earnings from 2004 were still incredibly strong and AMD's were lower than expected.

Also Intel is making oodles and oodles of money from their pentium m processors which is phenomenel and in a class all it's own in a laptop.

From a performance stand point intel is losing on the desktop and gutting amd's insides out in the laptop but for a money stand point intel is still doing extremely well

Tuffgong4 said:
From a performance stand point intel is losing on the desktop and gutting amd's insides out in the laptop but for a money stand point intel is still doing extremely well

In other words, Intel is the Microsoft of Processors. :p

kind of yeah!

it's marketing for Intel. As long as the average user sees those fast speeds for their processor they are still more likely to pick up a celeron instead of an amd just because they are "faster" even though that's not the case.

Us nerds can't understand it 'cause we know the truth but not the average user. Though when it comes to laptops amd just recently announced a pentium m type processor so intel still has the lead by a long shot in laptops and will for a while.

I keep seeing people dumb people on other forums talking about how amd will overtake intel and that's just not the case. Amds processors right now are way better but the sheer volume of systems shipped with p4s in them is enormous. And truthfully AMD couldn't even keep up with customer demand if more companies started building AMD based processors so that is even a problem for amd.

This is how much respect AMD gets from companies like Bestbuy. This is the only amd computer at best buy and I'll give rep points to the first person to post what is wrong with this listing of the computer
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ductCategoryId=pcmcat18700050010&type=product

ha, you guys and your rep points...and no

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back