Newbie Questions Needed! :)

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Ok, we're going to be compiling a thread in this section as a sort of "newcomers guide to osx" I started to write some stuff last night, but ended up deleting it as I thought it was a boring read (possibly because it's stuff I already know etc?) so I thought I could ask you guys to help me out.

Basically I need you to ask questions regarding Apple hardware and Mac OSX, even if you don't own or even use a mac, I just need the sort of questions that new-comers to the o/s would ask.

Please keep in mind the guidelines and that no flaming will be tolerated, any occurrences will be deleted on sight.

Cheers :)

How do you make a connection with
-a Win NT/2K/2K3 server (as client)
-a Linux server (as client)
-a LAN consisting of Win9x and or WinXP comps (for multiplayer gaming + file and printersharing)
in OSX?

I know nothing about Apple...so here is my question.

How do you change the icons?

Click the icon... Control Click (right-click) > Get Info... click the icon in the top of the information window then.... Do the same for the icon you want to change say.... HD. Click the icon in that window and then 'Apple Key'+V (paste)

VIOLA!!!

how do you remap the mouse buttons to something with 2+ buttons

Good idea, Dave. :)
I've got some legitimate ones considering I'm about to be a newbie myself.

• What kinds of maintenance should be done to keep OS performance optimized?
  • Is partitioning the hard disk recommended? If so, what is the best way?
  • What is AppleScript?
  • What are good things (commands) to know in Terminal?
  • Are there add-ons to Safari that make it better? What are some good resources?
  • Anything that's important to know concerning security.

Geffy said:

Plug in the mouse and the 2nd button automatically takes the place of 'control-click'

Is it true that there is more Windows software than Mac software? Or do you just have to look very hard?
Another nice one: What is according to you (Mac-users) the main reason people don't buy a Mac, but a Windows powered machine?

Pfft

Click the icon... Control Click (right-click) > Get Info... click the icon in the top of the information window then.... Do the same for the icon you want to change say.... HD. Click the icon in that window and then 'Apple Key'+V (paste)

Wow darn that's easy! And sooooooo intuitive! Well that's a reason to drop my XP and switch over to OSX....

Oh yeah, wait, since Mac Users spend so much money on Hard- and Software, it would be a shame to make it too easy to use and require only 2 seconds to accomplish any tasks, right?

I always say that there must be a reason only 5% or so of computer-users buy Macs, period! Oh and don't get me wrong: Linux is great!

God I hate these mac-machines... :)

Ok, but to give you a newbie question: why is Mac-Hardware often twice as expensive as the same hardware for PC? There was this one Graphics-card which cost like 3 times the price of the PC-version and the only difference was the BIOS. A magazine successfully flashed the PC version to the Mac-Version, so why that huge price-difference? And another question: who is stupid enough to actually buy that stuff???

They charge more because they can, imagine if you could only buy processors from Microsoft. If a new Mac was comparable in price to a PC, I would buy one, but they are atleast twice as expensive [I know they retain their value, but initial cost is still an issue], christ, a keyboard from apple is $49, and thats not even the wireless one.

loki, this thread has good intentions and your comments are not helpful or necessary. If you don't like Macs then don't come into this part of the forums just to flame thekore, Speedy, myself or Mac-users in general. Show some respect please. :rolleyes:

I think you will find that does only take 2 seconds, its practically just like changing an applications icon in KDE and trust me that only takes 2 seconds.

Hehe, Dave deleted the post right when I was editing it.
tongue.gif

Hardware questions

1. Can Macs use the same parts? Like can I pop the hard drive out of my Windows machine and put it in my Mac?

2. If so, can a Mac read an NTFS partition?

3. What other parts are cross-compatible from PC to Mac, besides obvious ones like USB (e.g. monitors, RAM, sound cards, mice, keyboards, power supplies)?

4. Can a Mac hard drived be wiped in favor of running an Applish Linux build, or will they run Mac OS only?

OSX questions

5. How often is OSX updated? Do they have a Windows Update type of feature that adds functionality/security to the OS?

6. Are there PC emulators?

7. If I get a Mac, it's definitely not going to be for gaming. Is there a vast array of business software? What about free ones like StarOffice?
---ed. I just found out StarOffice is no longer free, but I see Openoffice is!

8. I was told by a Mac-owning friend that Mac renders effects in graphics programs (like Photoshop, Maya, and Lightwave) in fractions of the time of their PC counterparts. This guy knows graphics, but he doesn't know computers, so his knowledge is suspect in my mind. Does this still hold true, or is an Athlon 64/Pentium 4 going to render effects just about as well.

------------------------------------------------------

By the way, this is a pretty neat thread. Somone who actually wants to deal with noobie questions!

muzikool said:
loki, this thread has good intentions and your comments are not helpful or necessary. If you don't like Macs then don't come into this part of the forums just to flame thekore, Speedy, myself or Mac-users in general. Show some respect please. :rolleyes:

Dictionary.com said:
Lo·ki
n. Mythology
A Norse god who created discord, especially among his fellow gods.

At least he took the time to choose his name carefully...

Unwonted said:
4. Can a Mac hard drived be wiped in favor of running an Applish Linux build, or will they run Mac OS only?

5. How often is OSX updated? Do they have a Windows Update type of feature that adds functionality/security to the OS?

6. Are there PC emulators?

4. Yes, there are Linux distributions (RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo, YellowDog etc.) that run on the PowerPC platform.

5. Yes, Software Update in OS X is like Windows Update. It not only checks for operating system updates, but also updates for some of Apple's software like Safari, iTunes, iChat, iSync etc.

6. Yes, you can run Windows within OS X using VirtualPC. Being an emulator, it's obviously slower than a real PC, and (as of now) lacks support for DirectX (in other words, no games other than Solitaire/Minesweeper).

Right, I've cleaned this thread up.
Please note that I will be moderating both this thread (and entire section) extremely strictly, as I refuse to tolerate the pathetic flaming that occurs when mentioning thing's such as alternate operating systems, or even applications. The thread isn't necessarily for answering questions (more to get an idea of what would be asked), but sean seems to have done a good job of answering so far, so may aswell keep it up :)

Glaanieboy said:
Bored Dave? :p
No, if you read the first post you will see that this content will help compile a starting point to this section. The same is intended for the Linux section also.

Geffy said:
There is no re-mapping needed. I can plug in my 5-button Microsoft optical mouse and it just works.. can keep the apple mouse in at the same time if I really feel like it :p

muzikool said:
What kinds of maintenance should be done to keep OS performance optimized?
Not much, OSX de-fragments and optimises it's hard disk and file's automatically, accompanied by the BSD memory management, the system pretty much looks after itself. There are always tweaks etc, but I've never found a use for them.

muzikool said:
Is partitioning the hard disk recommended? If so, what is the best way?
The (graphical) installer lets you chose how to partition, it even has the option to part into X pieces, for example when I intalled my 120GB drive, I simply clicked 3 parts, and I now have 3x40gb, lovely. However, to be perfectly honest, due to the way in which the o/s handles all your files and what not, I would actually recommend against partitioning, as you don't really need it.
I only like to have a separate 40GB partition for music so that I know my collection will never be larger than my iPod.. that's just a preference though ;)

muzikool said:
What is AppleScript?
Quite impressive to be honest, there's more information about it here: http://www.apple.com/applescript/

muzikool said:
What are good things (commands) to know in Terminal?
Depends what you want to do, personally I mostly use the terminal for IRC'ing with BitchX, but there's the usual basic commands to play with such as 'ls', 'top', 'uname -a', 'uptime' which give snippets of information etc. You will probably never use the terminal unless you're using it for a specific reason anyway :)

muzikool said:
Are there add-ons to Safari that make it better? What are some good resources?
I don't honestly know, as I've never looked for any.. or rather had to look. Safari works perfectly (for me) as it is. There's always the OSX version of FireFox if you need more to play with though.

muzikool said:
Anything that's important to know concerning security.
In your system preferences (linked on the dock, looks like an apple with a switch on the left.) there's an icon called 'Software Update' make sure that you have check for updates set to at least weekly. This way all the latest security patches etc shall be searched for, and you will be notified when they're are new patches ready (also this notifies you of application updates, such as iTunes, Safari, iCal and all the rest)

Black Owl said:
How do you make a connection with
-a Win NT/2K/2K3 server (as client)
-a Linux server (as client)
-a LAN consisting of Win9x and or WinXP comps (for multiplayer gaming + file and printersharing)
in OSX?
Pop CAT5, CAT5E or CAT6 cable into each machine (depending on the network speed, most new macs are equipped with Gigabit) then head into System preferences, click sharing, and enable the relevant services.

Glaanieboy said:
Is it true that there is more Windows software than Mac software? Or do you just have to look very hard?
Yes, perfectly true. But would you rather have thousands of average apps, or one hundred really good ones?
There is some amazing software for windows, but let's face it there's a LOT of crap too, most large developers see the potential of the macintosh and develop applications for it, some even primarily (Adobe, Macromedia, even Microsoft) however due to the Windows market being larger (and therefore meaning more profit) the majority of companies will develop for that platform.
This does in no way mean that software for the mac does not exist for job-X, software is also not hard to find, with sites like versiontracker and macupdate all you need to do is search.

Another nice one: What is according to you (Mac-users) the main reason people don't buy a Mac, but a Windows powered machine?
There are varying factors, the main on is money, people don't realise that Mac's last a LONG time and that the MHz mean nothing, I know someone who until a few weeks ago was running a 500MHz G4 (He gave into temptation and treated himself to a dual 2.0 G5 though :D) and had no problems with it, and the great thing is, that he will be able to sell that 500MHz, second hand, for nearly as much as he paid for it. As a matter of fact, my PowerMac is currently re-sellable for more than I paid for it, and probably will be for a while. At the end of the day, you DO get what you pay for.
Most people aren't educated that PPC even exists, and therefore think that a 3.0GHz P4 is faster than a 2.5GHz G5 which isn't the case, so they think that the mac isn't worth the money being asked for.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back