newbie question

seperatist

OSNN Senior Addict
my wife wants to set up a wireless network for my comp to hers. i have no idea where to start. we would like to stay under $150 for everything if possible. we are both running xp home and her comp will be about 10ft away. i am also on cable.

any help?

i guess this must be a dumb question but i honestly have no idea what to get.

check out the networking section at bestbuy.com.

My personal opinion is avoid d-link at all cost, I know linksys is good (but usually a bit more $) and Netgear I have never used.

All you really need is a wireless router and two wireless pci cards.

Someone else here might be able to explain what the difference between 802.11b and 802.11g is.

This article should be simple enough to understand, and it should tell you pretty much all you need to know.
I have had both Netgear and D-Link routers, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of them - they've both been solid, reliable devices. Shop around online. I'm sure you'll be able to get the wireless router and the two wireless cards for under $150.

she doesn't want the wires going across the living room floor. fashion is expensive.

Get a wireless router and 2 PCI cards. A kit would be simplest and should have all the cables a router and 2 PCI cards. Get ones that say "G" standard. B is slower and less robust security. The only problem is getting through walls with wires and pipes and airconditioning ducts in them.

Dlink or Linksys are fine.

Look for a sale at best buy or compusa. Total price should not be over $100 and you may get lucky and come in for under $80.

If you don't like the one you get return it and try another.

Setup should be trivial. Use the wizard.

Enjoy!

PS If you don't have a best buy or compusa use www.newegg.com. But returns becomes a pain with mail order.

can i leave the router near my comp and use a wire and just get the pc card for her comp? that should save me some money.

seperatist said:
can i leave the router near my comp and use a wire and just get the pc card for her comp? that should save me some money.
Yep, that can be done too.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back