• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

newbie question

seperatist

OSNN Senior Addict
my wife wants to set up a wireless network for my comp to hers. i have no idea where to start. we would like to stay under $150 for everything if possible. we are both running xp home and her comp will be about 10ft away. i am also on cable.

any help?

Ohzopants

My mom thinks I'm cool
check out the networking section at bestbuy.com.

My personal opinion is avoid d-link at all cost, I know linksys is good (but usually a bit more $) and Netgear I have never used.

All you really need is a wireless router and two wireless pci cards.

Someone else here might be able to explain what the difference between 802.11b and 802.11g is.

This article should be simple enough to understand, and it should tell you pretty much all you need to know.
I have had both Netgear and D-Link routers, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of them - they've both been solid, reliable devices. Shop around online. I'm sure you'll be able to get the wireless router and the two wireless cards for under $150.

Get a wireless router and 2 PCI cards. A kit would be simplest and should have all the cables a router and 2 PCI cards. Get ones that say "G" standard. B is slower and less robust security. The only problem is getting through walls with wires and pipes and airconditioning ducts in them.

Dlink or Linksys are fine.

Look for a sale at best buy or compusa. Total price should not be over $100 and you may get lucky and come in for under $80.

If you don't like the one you get return it and try another.

Setup should be trivial. Use the wizard.

Enjoy!

PS If you don't have a best buy or compusa use www.newegg.com. But returns becomes a pain with mail order.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bettyicrewsi