Newbie Question - VNC Prog

P

PSI Division

Does anyone know if VNC works ok with XP Pro?

I installed it last night, and seemed to work fine when connecting to it from a win98 machine. I remotely shut down the XP machine, did a manual reboot and the damned thing froze on boot up.

Repair did'nt work, went back to a known good condition did'nt work either. Had to re-install over the top.

Any ideas?

In theory VNC should work fine. BUT WinXP pro has built in networking capabilities that you may want to try, basically you can set it using your XP Pro cd and your guest computer, you can then connect to your dektop either through your webbrowser or via the specific client. I don;t think that VNC has been updated for a very long time.
hope this helps a bit

Thanks for that, I new about the remote desktop thing, but haven't played with it yet. Have been using VNC for years and have not had any problems before.

Can you use the remote desktop on a small network, from a win98 machine to the XP machine, or is it only the other way?

Remote Desktop is new in XP. This means that you can access your XP machine through your 98 machine, but not vice versa (unless you have 3rd party software).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back