Newbie Linux

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Well I scored a PIII433 computer that I am thinking of installing Linux in it just to learn on. Which distro should begin with. I am thinking to go with Mandrake 10. What do you guys think?

Heeter

I've heard that SuSE makes a nice starting distro, but I've never actually used it. :)

I personally began with RedHat 6 as my very first distro (talk about horrendous hardware support back then :p). You could go with Fedora Core or Mandrake too. Another option is Knoppix, which you can use as a LiveCD - you don't need to install anything to your hard disk until you're sure you want to.

I'd say SuSE over any other RPM based distro, i have used it for a while for various tasks and even tried it as a server.
But another good choice would be Fedora Core :)

Mandrake in my opinion is far too bloated, and will slow down your system further than SuSE or Fedora will.

I tinkered with SuSe ages ago but I liked it best out of the "newbie" distro's. YaST is pretty nice. :)

Thanks guys,

I am dedicating this 'puter to Linux to learn on, so I am not concerned about installing anything. My main thing is to learn and having no problems with hardware. Last thing I need from the get-go is Linux not recognizing the most basic hardware I have it on. I do have some manuals already as well.

I read something about "Slackware". I heard it is basically *BSD with a GUI. Would that be a newbie consideration?

Thanks for all your input so far.

Heeter

Slackware is what I started out on before I moved to BSD.

If you ask me BSD is easier and nicer for a newbie to learn - theres just a lot more to learn before you get a pretty GUI.

In all cases be prepared to break it and clean install a few times befoer figuing out how to fix it by hand :)

Abve all just have fun.

Someone needs a spell checker :p.

I suggest Mandrake or Slackware. Suse is pretty nice currently, and i think it will be even better, but it is a bit tempermental on my test system.

I have Suse running on my server right now, and I had problems with mandrake 10 sucking all the resources from my other computer. I have run Red Hat 9 (haven't had time to mess with fedora) and have been quite happy with it.

Mandrake is pretty cool for a newbie distro. Slackware is cool for diving in a bit further on.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back