Newbie group policy Question!

Ironvid

OSNN Newbie
Hi

I want to use group policy's to restrict users access to some windows settings e.g. display settings and give people a corperate backgound.
I am using 2003 server and the users are all XP pro

my question is how can I restrict some users from accessing the display settings and not others.
e.g.

Domain/users cannot access the display settings and have background A
Domain/power users can access the display settings and have background B

Hope this makes sense, thanks for any help! :)

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Create different OU's for different users.

Users
'-- Restricted Users
'-- Non-Restricted Users

Create different policies for each OU.

Apply the restricted policy to the restricted users OU.

Ironvid

OSNN Newbie
Hi

thanks for that!

I understsand the OU's and how to create them; but I have no Idea on how to create new policy's and and apply them to each OU.

I am trawling through the help files, so any help on how to do this would be great!

thanks in advance!

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
you could also get all fancy and keep everyone in one OU if you need to and create seperate policies and set the security on each policy accordingly to apply to the appropriate security group.

Ironvid

OSNN Newbie
Thanks

I already had the Group Policy Management Console but could not see how to create and apply the policy's.

I think I have got what I needed now!

Thanks All! :)

you could also get all fancy and keep everyone in one OU if you need to and create seperate policies and set the security on each policy accordingly to apply to the appropriate security group.

Thats basically what I do, I have all users in one OU (for each location) and set up different GPOs for them.

All you have to do is open up the Group Policy Manager and navigate to where said users are. Right click and "Create and link GPO here". Then right click and edit it the way you want to.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ganster